Cars and Planes on SL

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I havent flown properly except tried out a free sea plane with arrow controls but it keeps crashing at sim lines, as for cars always laggy like brakes are on, so would like to know are the expensive planes and cars fun to use like boats? the thing with boats is they run well always except for really crappy ones which are rare. Do huds make the planes stay up at a steady speed or its all manual? do cars run as smoothly as in computer games?

bebejee wrote:

... so would like to know are the expensive planes and cars fun to use like boats?

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean high quality in SL.

bebejee wrote:

the thing with boats is they run well always except for really crappy ones which are rare.

I've never thought of it before but you may be right, boats may tend to be of higher quality than other vehicles. It may be that it's easier to script something moving at a constant elevation or maybe it's just a coincidence.

bebejee wrote:

Do huds make the planes stay up at a steady speed or its all manual?

Whether the controls are on a HUD or not shouldn't make any difference in itself.

bebejee wrote:

do cars run as smoothly as in computer games?

Realistically, no. A dedicated car driving game is highly focused on the driving itself with everything else kept down to the absolute minimum. Even the most stripped down SL environment is far more complicated. That means the computers - both the server and yours - have much more work to do and so much less time to focus on your car. And of course we got sim crossings. Essentially what happens when you cross a sim border is that you log off from one "game" and on to a different one. It's amazing it works as smoothly as it does actually.

That being said, there's certainly room for improvement. I'm not going to repeat myself - here's a link to an earleir post I wrote about that:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/ADVICE-FOR-EBBE-LINDEN/m-p/2955365#M213032

Regarding cars and sim crossings, generally I do not have too much trouble.  On the mainland roads there are usually signs to alert you that you are approaching a sim crossing.  I have found that once you start to cross over, if it should go haywire, if you take your hands off the keys and wait a few seconds, you will usually end up back on the road in your vehicle. 

Your experience sounds pretty normal, nobody attempts to use vehicles in SL in any serious way, or even use physics for that matter. Other games do a far better job of that. Whether the vehicle is a car/plane/boat/flying furry bdsm sex platform, barring other factors you will generally find that lower speed = higher reliability.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.