Sign in to follow this  
Ani Aunerfal

Worried that I may have too many accounts

Question

That limit has been in place at least since 2007, when I joined SL.  You'll find it at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_Account_FAQ, among other places.

Currently, you can create:

• Up to five accounts per household.
  • No more than two accounts in a single 24-hour period.

There has always been some ambiguity about what that means, and about how it is enforced, if it is.  Presumably, a "household" is a single IP address, but what if you live in a college residence hall or share a house with 8 roommates?  Or, as another example, Linden Lab says that "Your first basic account is free, and so are a few alternate accounts. However, if you create an army of alts, Linden Lab may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each additional basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost. "  So, how big is an army?  Can you have 25 alts if they aren't all in the same "household", or is 6 an army? And the big question ...... Does Linden Lab really have time to poke around resident accounts to figure out how many alts we have, unless we call attention to oursleves by creating an "army" all at once?

Linden Lab may close accounts if you have too many of them, or prevent you from making others, or -- as it seems -- may ignore you altogether unless you do something nasty like use your "army of alts" to cause trouble in SL.  Frankly, you have been around for over 5 years now and haven't been scolded yet. I don't think I would worry much if I were you.  :smileywink:

• Like 4

1 answer to this question

That limit has been in place at least since 2007, when I joined SL.  You'll find it at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_Account_FAQ, among other places.

Currently, you can create:

• Up to five accounts per household.
  • No more than two accounts in a single 24-hour period.

There has always been some ambiguity about what that means, and about how it is enforced, if it is.  Presumably, a "household" is a single IP address, but what if you live in a college residence hall or share a house with 8 roommates?  Or, as another example, Linden Lab says that "Your first basic account is free, and so are a few alternate accounts. However, if you create an army of alts, Linden Lab may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each additional basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost. "  So, how big is an army?  Can you have 25 alts if they aren't all in the same "household", or is 6 an army? And the big question ...... Does Linden Lab really have time to poke around resident accounts to figure out how many alts we have, unless we call attention to oursleves by creating an "army" all at once?

Linden Lab may close accounts if you have too many of them, or prevent you from making others, or -- as it seems -- may ignore you altogether unless you do something nasty like use your "army of alts" to cause trouble in SL.  Frankly, you have been around for over 5 years now and haven't been scolded yet. I don't think I would worry much if I were you.  :smileywink:

• Like 4