Feeling like a noob!

Milicent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all ~ I've been away for awhile and just trying to get back into SL but lots of changes since i've been gone. First i'm having a shoe issue, foot half white have skin color - it's weird, any ideas why? I am using the SL viewer, what's the general opinion on viewers. I'm finding it difficult to get the enviroment settings how i want them. And whats the best skins out there now adays? TIA :)   

Are you wearing the foot shaper for a particular shoe?  Sometimes they have a kind of sock attached to help hide the foot in the shoe.  (How long have you been gone anyway?)

I use Firestorm, which may be the most popular, but there are many to choose from.  See which one works best for your personal tastes and for the computer you are using.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

I would try to help you locate windlights for changing the environmental settings, but I have no idea where they are in the official viewer.

Thanks for replying! I am puting the shoes on how I did before using the shaper and anything that comes with it. I have been gone about 2-3 years. I am going to try firestorm, I don't remember exactly which one I used before. Any advise on skins or AO's

Windlight on LL's new viewer isn't as robust as it once was.  Going from my very poor memory, you can get to the settings by World > Environment > Sun Settings.  Click the radio button to use custom settings and click the button to open the sky editor.

Skins .. what did you use before?

I still like LAQ's Glow skins which are 4 to 6 years old now.  I like the shading and highlights on these the bast so far.  Esode is good and has a free group gift skin you can try out. WoW skins, Pink Fuel, 7 Deadly Skins, all make good quality skins.  There are more but that's what I came up with off the top of my head.  The new fashion in skins seem to be smoother and are often bundled with shapes so that windlight fills in the shadows instead of being baked on the skin.

I need to add, you tend to have a lot of options.  Not just on who you buy the skin from but once you do there are copious makeup options from the skin designers and as well as 3rd party creators.  If you want to use a mesh body (and the first time you sit down in a mesh body demo you will want one)  you will also need to pick up an applier from the place you bought the skin.  Lots of options, lots of extras ... lots of L$100 to L$200 extras .... if can add up quick.  On the up side you only pay for the ones you want and you can spread it out over time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.