Custom Shape Slider for Custom Model?

Reo Ninetails

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to have the custom shape sliders work on a custom model?

I have a humanoid character model that I made, all rigged to it's own join positions n such. The arm length, torso length, etc sliders work, but is there a way to set the sliders for features such as breast size?

Kind of.

It's the whole point of what is called fitted mesh. The caveat is that the sliders won't impact your mesh exactly as they will impact the default avatar. The default avatar changes shape in two ways: the sliders that affect the skeleton bones and the morph targets that SL uses. Fitted mesh uses not the bones of the skeleton, but the collision volumes.  Both morph targets and collision volume size/position are affected by some sliders.

There is a tool for Blender, Avastar, that will allow you to manipulate the shape like you can with the SL sliders and there is Mayatar/Mayafit which does the same in Maya. (they are not related and will cost you around $20.) I once started on a MisFit (Max Inception Skeleton) maxscript for 3ds Max, but found that I couldn't quite figure it out in the time I'd like to spend on it.

The (exploded) rig would look like this:

Fitted Mesh.JPG

More info on the wiki.

It's not really an easy thing to do. You have to us 2 types of rigs. 1 rig would be rigged using fitted mesh on your avatar. Then, you would likely create a different animation rig, or a mesh with a rig, to move those fitted mesh bones for creatures with different bone positions. Basically, you can't move the position of the collision bones and have fitted mesh work, so you use a different rig to move those bones. It's tough tho to set the collision bones position property to match the mbones. I hope this makes some sense.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.