Viewer 2 based viewers log me out

Jonny Petrova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Having a strange problem with any viewer 2 based viewers - official, Kirsten's, Phoenix to name the three I've tried. I can log in without any difficulties, but within a few minutes of being in a populous area, I'll notice my bandwidth drop to 0 and I won't be able to move or interact with SL. Usually, the first time on a login I can teleport home and restore the connection, but subsequent attempts will fail. 

I primarily use the viewer 1 based Imprudence, and have no such difficulties with that viewer. 

I've reinstalled, deleted cache, opened ports with my firewall, messed around with my router, etc, etc. Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

Please post your computer specifications. Open SL to login screen, select Help > About Second Life > copy/paste computer details into a reply here.

Did you unplug the modem/router for a minute or so and then reconnect? What make router are you using? Netgear is known to cause issues for some people.

When you uninstalled the viewer did you manually remove the Second Life folders in AppData > Local and > Roaming (saving chat files first if you wish) before reinstalling Second Life?

Did you recently update your graphics card driver? If an NVIDIA graphics card, try uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it again or perhaps go back to a previous version that worked.

In addition to what Nyll said, I've had issues with the second tp - as in being logged out on the second tp - when http textures are enabled. Don't ask how the two are related, but as soon as I disabled http textures, I could tp just fine. This is a few viewer versions ago, though, and I've had http textures disabled since, so I don't know if it is still an issue. (Actually, having http textures turned off also makes textures rez quicker and better for me).

- Luc -

Phoenix is actually a Viewer 1 based one too, what graphics card do you have?

Make sure your firewall is not blocking outbound TCP port 12043, try lowering your bandwidth in preferences & disabling HTTP GetTextures - this is in different places on different viewers, check advanced & developer menus under rendering categories & in the graphics > phoenix >page2 > graphics for phoenix.

If your card is ATI you can also try disabling the VBO in preferences > graphics > hardware.

Specs:

CPU: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (2625.05 MHz)

Memory: 3328 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit (Build 7600)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6658

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.20.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3

J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.697, Runtime: 1.4.0

Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1

Router is Sagem but my wireless adapter is a Netgear one. Problem has gone on for months and router has been off and on many, many times in that period.

I did manually delete the cache files.

Graphics card, I've had at least two different drivers during the period viewer 2 hasn't really worked.

I didn't know that about Phoenix, but I am guessing that one of the viewer 2 features it possesses is the cause of the problems with it. The port is unblocked and I'm currently testing the HTTP texture thing.

Graphics card is NVIDIA. Again, thanks for the help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.