Blender to SL work flow for low prim objects.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is more and more designers / builders releasing very extremely low prim stuff, i.e. I just bought a living room furniture set that is all on 1 prim..

I have been playing with blender tutorials and learning to make very basic things, but when I import into SL I haven't learned how to get those objects in super low prim format.

Could someone please share work-flow from Blender to SL,  to achieve lowest possible prims for a object with medium visbility?

Is this set of instructions current: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Exporting_a_mesh_from_Blender

Especially the need to use collada?

Also any tutorials on building 1 to 3 prim furniture, couches chairs, etc, would be appreciated.

walterwhiteSr wrote:

Is this set of instructions current:

Especially the need to use collada?

Collada is the only file format the SL uploader recognises, so yes, you need to export as collada.

The instructions how to make LOD models on that web page is rather simplistic. You need to put quite a bit more thought and work into it than that if you want to make efficient mesh, such as 1-3 prim furniture with decent LOD.

Unfortunately there is no simple recipe how to create such ultra-efficient mesh. You need to understand how the LOD models and physics model work, how LI and the switch points (that is the distances the switches between the different models occur at) are calculated. That can't be explained in a short article like that but yuo can find lots of info by browsing through the mesh section of this forum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.