I'm looking for a laptop that can run second life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm buying a new laptop for school, but I also want to be able to run second life on it. I'm in the 600 dollar range. While I'm good with desktops, I'm totally clueless when it comes to laptops. Do you guys think this could run second life http://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS11-7693CFB-11-6-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen/dp/B00FLMQDF8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_2?&ie=UTF8&refRID=0BMGYX6ZETV67FJREZXA

Problem 1 :Gaming level laptops ,(like SL needs to get  high  performance/ FPS ) , are inherently more expensive than  similar performance desktops.

The second problem is that high performance laptops with high performance Nvidia dedicated graphics Chip generate  a lot of heat and use up the battery quickly  while in SL.  Yes..i said dedicated graphics "chip"  There is no graphics "card" in Laptops. Nvidia 550,650,750,850,950  are the min performance level that you need, The second digit indicates the performance level  for Nvidia graphics .  The first digit is related to the year it was made.  So a second digit of 5 or higher is what you want.

The cheapest  alternative  way is to get a laptop using the newest Intel  I5 or I7 "5th generation"  cpu called"Broadwell

This newest CPU has 2 advantages, very low power consumption of 15 watts ,(less heat longer battery life),   and has a much better performance Integrated graphics on board the same cpu  called hD 5500 or hd 6000.

The trick is finding a laptop that uses this newest 5th generation version Intel cpu.  Since its new the makers tend to charge  more

But soon, (by xmas), lots of laptops will be using Broadwell version.

The HD 5500 and hd 6000  integrated graphics will give you ability to use HIGH  SL  graphics in most situations and still have reasonable FPS.  Have longer battery life and generate less heat.

If you want to have  ULTRA graphics setting in SL,,,you will need a pc with separate Nvidia graphics Chip ver 550 or higher.

Honestly you need to pay $1000 to $1200  mininum to get what you want for SL. Laptops under  $1000 will  most likely have low performance graphics chips  or older integrated graphics .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.