Second life is making my computer reboot every 5 minutes, how do I stop this?

RandilynAvari Nikitin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I bought a dress on marketplace, or it happened when I was in SL today:  Every time I log into SL since today, my computer reboots... this does not happen when I am not in Second life, so I know it is SL that is doing it.  If I got a virus from some where in SL how do I get rid of it.  i have re installed my firestorm viewer, but that did not help.  and I have cleared my cache... and I have deleted the new dress I bought from the market place...wha else can I do to fix this problem???

Randi 

4 answers to this question

most likely your system can't handle the load of SL, i'm thinking about overheating your graphics .

if you put the system info in your original post ( log in and choose edit) you might get more clear answers.

the dress won't have any influence. You better had kept it f it's nice.

It's not a virus.  You cannot get a virus from clothing!

When you reinstalled Firestorm, did you do a CLEAN MANUAL UNINSTALL first?  Follow this procedure: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_update_viewer

For information on other possible Firestorm-related problems, see the Troubleshooting Guide

The latest Firestorm version is a public beta...that is, it has some known problems, for some people.  If you are using it, you may want to uninstall it and install the earlier 4.6.9 release, found here: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/downloads  

3 easy quick things to try. I suspect overheating, this is summer time in many parts of the world and this can happen. So, make sure you computer is getting air around it and isn't clogged up with dust bunnies!

Did you try TPing to another sim? Try and empty on in the ocean, ANWR is pretty light build so try going there. Enable the choice of sim you log into by changing these settings in the preferenfces menu

Lower the screen resolution before you start up SL, this will hopefully let your GPU and CPU run cooler and give you time to take off the dress and eliminate it from the list of trouble OR prove it's the culprit! Monitor settings usually are where it is at. Write down the settings you have now, then lower it, no lower than 800X600 because the SL viewer UI is hard to use at this point. Does this stop the crashing?

If you are worried still, if it is hot and you belive it is heat then you could try lowering the SL settings in the preferences window. Me>Preferences menu or press cntrl key + p key.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.