Second life cannot be accessed from this computer, new account

OldMunchi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I just made an account, tried to login, and it says I can't play from this computer. I would think this means my ip is banned, but as i've never played this game before I don't see how this can be possible. This is a pretty bad first experience to this game, hope someone can help here.

3 answers to this question

Hi OldMunchi,

Most ISP IP addresses are dynamically assigned. So it's possible that a previous "owner" of that IP address was banned from SL. If that's the case, you'll have to figure out how to get a new IP address. In some cases that's as easy as unplugging your broadband modem for a while and then reconnecting it. In other cases, you may have to contact your ISP and ask for a refresh. I have Time Warner Cable and have discovered that it takes more than a week of modem off-time before they'll issue a new IP address, but that I can get a new one instantly by swapping my primary and secondary Wi-Fi routers. The change in router MAC address causes my ISP to issue a new IP address to the modem.

Good luck, and (if you make it in) Welcome to Second Life!

• Like 1

Besides Maddy's suggestions, there's another possibility.  If someone before you had a Second Life account on that computer, and committed serious Terms of Service violations, Linden Lab might have enacted a "MAC address" hardware ban.  This targets the specific computer's hardware at a low level and keeps anyone from using it for Second Life.

There was an incident several years ago where someone bought a used computer from a pawn shop.  When they tried to use it for Second Life, they got the same message you are seeing.

If changing your IP address doesn't work, your only two options are to either get a different computer, or file a Support Case with Linden Lab and give them all the details.  If you can convince them that you are not whoever they banned and that that person has no way to use the computer to get back into SL, there is an outside chance that they will lift the ban.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.