This laptop would be good for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I'm about to get a new laptop and I want to get the new MacBook Pro: 

• 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
  • Built-in battery (10 hours)2
  • Force Touch trackpad

I use Firestorm on mid on my current laptop that has much lower hardware (Intel Celeron  1.10 GHz, 4GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics) , but would be nice to be able to use ultra for pictures, that laptop would be good for it? 

If you are looking to spend this kind of money, I would suggest investing in either the 15'' MBP with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory or a Laptop/PC that has atleast 1gb dedicated graphics card. The MBP you listed will run SL at MID but will not be able to handle ULTRA graphics for long before you start to notice your MBP getting hot or fans running loud and your experience will not be that great. You need a machine that has a dedicated graphics card to really be able to enjoy Second Life in ULTRA graphics. If you decide on the MBP you listed then definately take advantage of your return period and if you are not satisfied return it and keep looking. 

Hi Flora,

I've not used the new MacBook (other than two minutes of fiddling with it at the Apple store), but even with Intel Iris 6100 I wouldn't expect zippy performance. Retina displays are a double edged sword. They're beautiful, but they have many more pixels than standard resolution displays. As a result, the graphics hardware must work much harder to draw and refresh those pixels.

The next step up in the Apple lineup (15 inch) is much more expensive, and still last year's design. It has a faster Iris Pro graphics adapter, and (as mentioned by Lisa) an optional dedicated graphics processor. But a 15" with that optional hardware will cost almost twice as much as the entry level 13". If you intend to use ultra for photographs, the 13 inch machine should hold up long enough to snap a few pictures, but you'll probably end up running Mid to High normally.

All that said, I tried the force touch trackpad at the Apple store and it's the Bee's Knees. If you want a 15", wait for the update to get that trackpad. Apple is going to make interesting use of it.

Good luck!

• 10 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.