I have a suggestion for a premium perk or some sort buy now from SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear Linden Lab, 

I have been a premium member for two years now or longer, I no longer keep count. Your premium perks so far have been pretty epic fail. There are only two reasons why I subscribe to your premium plan. The 1st reason is that I want to help support, even in a small way, the company that created a virtual world that I draw my income from. My second reason is for the premium support, which I've had to use a handful of times in the past. 

Most of the premium gifts, that flying ship, the furniture, ect are all too high land impact and not up to the quality that I've come to expect from items that I'd buy so I don't go and collect them. I'm sure some others enjoy them, and thats great, but the individual creators in SL have surpassed in quality anything you've put out as a gift. So I'm not here for the gifts and I doubt most other people are either. 

My suggestion though, could actually be a money maker and end a long sore spot within the SL community. Many have mentioned bringing back last names. I propose charging a fee to change your last name. The display names are silly and annoy many. They'd rather have actual last names. Charge us a fee. $20 USD even, to apply for a last name. If the first and last name are already taken, allow us to apply to have our first names changed or let us choose from another last name. I think you'd find a great deal of people that would rather pay $20 and have a "real" last name. It was part of our history, a community, a family. There were family picnics/reunions where people got together to meet the folks who shared the same last name. I think this could be done fairly easily really. Other MMOs that allow names have some sort of database that will tell the person trying to choose a name if that name is already taken. You could use this sort of database for those applying for a last name. I know I would pay $20 a piece for many of my alts to have a last name. 

Actually, it does. Sort of. 

You CAN purchase a last name, but "considerably more expensive" than $20 means about $1000 USD. Also, it cannot be a standard surname, but must clearly represent a company (i.e. Smith is not okay; SmithCorp, or SmithInc, etc., are). 

The EXACT facility, precisely as you detailed, does not exist; but the fact remains that you CAN purchase a last name. 

I am thankful that I joined when last names still existed, because I like having a first and last name that don't have to be jammed together or represented with a display name or title. Many, many, many people have requested that this feature be restored, and LL has said, in no uncertain terms, "No."

Still, you could try posting this to the JIRA. It's for both bugs and feature requests. 

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

And the name would have to be at startup. You really can't change the name that easily since everything you own or create is linked to your current name that is linked to the UUID. My understanding is it's not a simple push of a few buttons to change it.

THEY manage it when a non-Linden becomes a Linden.

***Don't ask me how I know***

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.