How to make shadow maps with blender

BadEddy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm glad to realize I'm now able to make basic objects that actully look good. That's a big step I'd say.

Today I try to make shadow maps I can use in SL and I'm struggling with that quite a bit. I can assign faces to my items and that's it.

Does anyone know a good step by step guide that can walk me through this process?

Hi :)

Usually the learning process is, modeling, UV unwrapping, and then texturing.

So you are at the texturing stage, normally its learning how to Bake out an  Ambient Occlusion (AO) texture before learning how to bake out shadow textures because:

1: You need to mess about with lighting setups to bake shadows.

2: For SL if you have textures with shadows already on them they can look strange when people have Shadows enabled inworld. For axample you bake in shadows lit from the right side in Blender but then inworld the Sun happens to be on the left so casting shadowsin the oposite direction

3: Its the AO shading that will make your mesh pop :)

You could have alook at this thread  https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Ambient-Occlusion-for-Blender-tuts/m-p/2876281#M30051

But now you know its probably Ambient Occlusion baking you want, with Google you will find plenty of Blender tutorials on the subject and others on what to do with your AO texture.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.