My wall

Caitlin Tobias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Cleo, I suspect Derek believes his satire is obvious to everyone. The point he may be trying to make is that someone might interpret the ToS, CG, etc in an over-the-top way, RICing your post. Should that happen, I think it's possible the moderator would simply remove the post rather than consider the validity of the RIC.

There may be a few people who've carefully read the ToS/CG and exploit it for their own enjoyment, but I suspect that's not terribly common. Most people just get peeved with something or someone and push RIC, ignorant of what the actual guidelines are.

I may not be the most efficient presenter of my own understanding of things, but I'm certainly in no danger of being the least.

;-).

Or the mods acting on their own initiative. 

They need not receive an RIC notification.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point he may be trying to make is that someone might interpret the ToS, CG, etc in an over-the-top way, RICing your post. Should that happen, I think it's possible the moderator would simply remove the post rather than consider the validity of the RIC.

You might think that, but I don't, and in fact, recent experience suggests that there are others in authority who disagree with you as well.

There may be a few people who've carefully read the ToS/CG and exploit it for their own enjoyment,

Criticising the moderators and their decisions, even implicitly, is specifically against the ToS/CG, Madelaine

CleoSertorii wrote:

the people in the photo are three actresses portraying fictional characters from a tv show that is the RP basis for my avatar. The photo was posted online by the studio who produced the show. They are not SL residents, and unless you actually know who these actresses are, you'd have no chance in hell of ever identifying them just off of the photo.

The problem Cleo, is that what you are describing is VERY similar to a recent problematical interpretation of the ToS/CG.

Don't take it personally; leave that to Derek!

Firstly Cleo, I do not take orders from you, regardless of how you word them. I will post as I see fit.

Secondly, the concerns I raise are relevant to the thread. And you need to understand that my original post to you was a little joke. I don't care personally, who you post pictures of in here. You have, as I noted, completely missed the point and remain oblivious to it. Which is ok, most will probably not understand it unless they are aware of what I am referring to, which I can't divulge because to do so would be a violation of policy here and result in my being banned.

Thirdly, you have no idea if the people in the picture are residents here or not, do you. And the fact that you have 'disclosed' their RL occupations in and of itself may qualify as a violation of the aforementioned policies here.

So try and relax and let it play. Follow along and you may indeed learn something. Or don't. I care not either way.

Here is a pic for you.

ok, firstly...your original comment to me could easily be (and was) interpeted as YOU telling me what to do, so please try to not be too much of a hypocrite. Secondly, how in the hell am i supposed to know it was meant to be a joke? I have no idea who you are and without some sort of context, the humor just isnt there for me to see. You are correct that i have missed the point because your point isnt clear at all...it just seems as though you are either trolling or getting on me for posting a random RL photo of three unidentified girls. You also verify that it is reasonable for me to not understand your point becasue you cant tell anyone what it is :/ Thirdly, it doesnt matter if they are SL residents or not, as there is NO WAY to link their tv show characters or even RL names to any SL account simply based on a photo. In order for it to be a violation, someone would have to demonstrate that they are residents, which once again, isnt going to happen because you cant ID the actresses.

lastly, your pic is sooo of topic, im not sure why you bothered to post it...but whatever.

CleoSertorii wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

No thank you.

You are in over your head Cleo, and a long way from shore.

Derek, did you come in here just to troll, or do you actually have some point to make? Nothing in the photo qualifies as "disclosing personal information" of any resident, or anyone else for that matter. As i already said (and you seem to have overlooked) is that the people in the photo are three actresses portraying fictional characters from a tv show that is the RP basis for my avatar. The photo was posted online by the studio who produced the show. They are not SL residents, and unless you actually know who these actresses are, you'd have no chance in hell of ever identifying them just off of the photo. If you have such a big problem with me posting it, then report it and let the thread go back to its original subject.

Derek did make a point.  I don't necessarily agree with his point, but I absolutely support his right to make it.  I also support your right to insinuate that he's a troll, even though it exposes you as someone who would rather try to discredit an individual than just simply refute what they've got to say.

...Dres

CleoSertorii wrote:

Firstly Cleo, I do not take orders from you, regardless of how you word them. I will post as I see fit.

Secondly, the concerns I raise are relevant to the thread. And you need to understand that my original post to you was a little joke. I don't care personally, who you post pictures of in here. You have, as I noted, completely missed the point and remain oblivious to it. Which is ok, most will probably not understand it unless they are aware of what I am referring to, which I can't divulge because to do so would be a violation of policy here and result in my being banned.

Thirdly, you have no idea if the people in the picture are residents here or not, do you. And the fact that you have 'disclosed' their RL occupations in and of itself may qualify as a violation of the aforementioned policies here.

So try and relax and let it play. Follow along and you may indeed learn something. Or don't. I care not either way.

Here is a pic for you.

ok, firstly...your original comment to me could easily be (and was) interpeted as YOU telling me what to do, so please try to not be too much of a hypocrite. Secondly, how in the hell am i supposed to know it was meant to be a joke? I have no idea who you are and without some sort of context, the humor just isnt there for me to see. You are correct that i have missed the point because your point isnt clear at all...
it just seems as though you are either trolling
or getting on me for posting a random RL photo of three unidentified girls. You also verify that it is reasonable for me to not understand your point becasue you cant tell anyone what it is
:/
Thirdly, it doesnt matter if they are SL residents or not, as there is NO WAY to link their tv show characters or even RL names to any SL account simply based on a photo. In order for it to be a violation, someone would have to demonstrate that they are residents, which once again, isnt going to happen because you cant ID the actresses.

lastly, your pic is sooo of topic, im not sure why you bothered to post it...but whatever.

It seems to me, from past experience, that accusations of trolling are your go-to thing.

...Dres

LlazarusLlong wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

As an aside, I don't think that it is possible to be off topic in General Discussion.

Are you stupid?  She said "of topic" not off.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Derek did make a point.  I don't necessarily agree with his point, but I absolutely support his right to make it.  I also support your right to insinuate that he's a troll, even though it exposes you as someone who would rather try to discredit an individual than just simply refute what they've got to say.

...Dres

seriosuly, dres? It was a question, not an accusation, and i DID try to refute what he said more than once by pointing out that the photo doesnt violate any of SL's rules. What i would like to know is why does it seem like every thread on this forum has to end up being some kind of a debate? This thread was meant to showcase wall decorations in SL homes, not be a haven for people trying to be SL attorneys and interpret SL rules. Yes, i am perfectly aware that you can post anything you want in any thread that you want, but do you always have to do it?

It seems to me, from past experience, that accusations of trolling are your go-to thing.

...Dres

they only are when it seems to me that is what is happening...and since you are the only other person in the entire forum that i have ever accused of being a troll, then i think you are sort of overgeneralizing a bit.

CleoSertorii wrote:

seriosuly, dres? It was a question, not an accusation, and i DID try to refute what he said more than once by pointing out that the photo doesnt violate any of SL's rules.

I don't believe it does in the way that Derek suggested, but I still believe it very well may violate the ToS... because of copyright.  But, honestly, I'd rather not get into that.

The point of my post to you was to suggest that I believe it would behoove you to state your actual argument rather than start calling people trolls.

...Dres

LlazarusLlong wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

the photo doesnt violate any of SL's rules.

Isn't it invading the privacy of Cariba Heine, Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin? Or is it OK because you haven't given their names, or the names of the avatars they use in SL?

fine, should i just pull the damn photo if it will make all of you happy? They are public figures and their identities are well known by anyone who takes the time to look.

CleoSertorii wrote:

Here is a pic for you.

ok, firstly...your original comment to me could easily be (and was) interpeted as YOU telling me what to do, so please try to not be too much of a hypocrite. Secondly, how in the hell am i supposed to know it was meant to be a joke? I have no idea who you are and without some sort of context, the humor just isnt there for me to see. You are correct that i have missed the point because your point isnt clear at all...it just seems as though you are either trolling or getting on me for posting a random RL photo of three unidentified girls. You also verify that it is reasonable for me to not understand your point becasue you cant tell anyone what it is
:/
Thirdly, it doesnt matter if they are SL residents or not, as there is NO WAY to link their tv show characters or even RL names to any SL account simply based on a photo. In order for it to be a violation, someone would have to demonstrate that they are residents, which once again, isnt going to happen because you cant ID the actresses.

Thank you for making my point for me.

I posted the pic in the hope of mollifying you as you seemed to have needed a pic rather desperately.

It is usually a good practise (watching McMasters?) to familiarize yourself with the players before wading into the fray. For instance, Caitlin and I have been good friends for 5 years and if she had a problem with my posting to the thread in the manner I have she would have told me to back off. And out of repsect for her I would have. But then Caity knows what I am referring to as she has read a number of the threads posted in the last week that refer to the issues here. You can also look at my posting history, as I have done with you, to get an idea about my style and concerns.

CleoSertorii wrote:

fine, should i just pull the damn photo if it will make all of you happy? They are public figures and their identities are well known by anyone who takes the time to look.

Don't take it personally, Cleo, I was merely posing a hypothetical question in the hope that a Linden representative might offer a viewpoint.

Myself, I don't think you have done anything at all wrong.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

I posted the pic in the hope of mollifying you as you seemed to have needed a pic rather desperately.

It is usually a good practise (watching McMasters?) to familiarize yourself with the players before wading into the fray. For instance, Caitlin and I have been good friends for 5 years and if she had a problem with my posting to the thread in the manner I have she would have told me to back off. And out of repsect for her I would have. But then Caity knows what I am referring to as she has read a number of the threads posted in the last week that refer to the issues here. You can also look at my posting history, as I have done with you, to get an idea about my style and concerns.

my god, are you for real? are you honestly suggesting that before i post anything in any thread anywhere in this forum, that i take hours of my time searching out the "regulars" and read their posts just to get to know what kind of people they are? Its not a freaking battle (or it doesnt have to be)., and i dont see why cerain people have to make it into one. Do i keep having to remind everyone that this was supposed to be a wall decoration showcase thread, not some sort of legal debate? I just wanted to participate and show what ive been working on at home, not get into arguments with a bunch of strangers.

CleoSertorii wrote:

...Dres

they only are when it seems to me that is what is happening...and since you are the only other person in the entire forum that i have ever accused of being a troll, then i think you are sort of overgeneralizing a bit.

Perhaps that's because Derek and I are two of the very few here who enjoy questioning people's perceptions and pushing them to question their opinions.  I apologized to you before for being overly harsh, when I thought you were as crazy as those other anti-Progeny idiots and I meant it.  But, mainly, I tried expanding your thinking on the matter.  It didn't work and I still don't like what your actions were as far as that's concerned.

I'll probably never agree with you, but I understand that what you believe is quite sincere... what I believe is as well.  When you denounce someone as a troll, what you're essentially saying is that they don't honestly believe that the opinion of which they're arguing is valid.  As such, the difference between you and I is that I'd rather support my position with sound argument, than try to invalidate my opposition wherein I discount their argument by dubbing them a troll.

...Dres

CleoSertorii wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

my god, are you for real? are you honestly suggesting that before i post anything in any thread anywhere in this forum, that i take hours of my time searching out the "regulars" and read their posts just to get to know what kind of people they are? Its not a freaking battle (or it doesnt have to be)., and i dont see why cerain people have to make it into one. Do i keep having to remind everyone that this was supposed to be a wall decoration showcase thread, not some sort of legal debate? I just wanted to participate and show what ive been working on at home, not get into arguments with a bunch of strangers.

That would be both a polite and considerate thing to do, don't you think? You just might make some good friends of the people here. I am sure it would not take hours and hours, and it need not be done on every single post you make. However, if you are going to insinuate yourself into the middle of a discussion I think it is prudent and wise to know just who you are getting involved with as well as to be damn sure you are aware of the subject under discussion. Remember, we are having a discussion in the General Discussion area. But then you weren't here for the real battles of a number of years ago, unless by another name.

By all means, you do as you please,  but understand how you present to others will determine how you are treated. We like to be entertaining but are not here for your ego-centric entertainment.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

I have been following the thread, of cours, and have kept quiet because I was a bit unsure and curious on where this was going and also, as Derek and Llazarus know I am very careful in what I post (pictures as well as text), due to past experiences in this forum.

Posting or having pics of actors portraying characters from a tv show, I personally have no issue with this and can't see it as a problem - fan-art/posters/photos with autographs etc are often free available on official websites as long as you don't use it for profit..but just as a fan, why not ? I do not think this was your issue with Cleo's image, right?

I had no idea a simple thread on wall decoration would go the way this one went, but hey hoo..I've seen worse derailings :P.

Oh and Derek, I would have loved to show the other wall in my home, with our pic... but alas, I would have had to blur the complete wall for disneyfication..:)

Anyway, for every one else: show them walls!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.