Texturing the LODs

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have made windows with three LOD levels.  I textured them and all levels of LOD took the texture fine. But I then decided to make the texture on one face a little different, so I did that. The lower LOD faces, however, still have the original texture on them, so when I pull out a little I see the original texture, not the updated one. All LOD levels have the same material assignments for corresponding parts of the window.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyone know what is up with this behavior?

2 textures = 2 materials. So you have to assign the polygons in question, which are on material 1 on the high and medium LOD, to the material number 2 for the low and lowest LOD. You also have to carry all materials on all LODs. So you may have to add a hidden triangle to carry the second material on LOD High and Medium, and vice versa.

I am not understanding Arton. I want the same texture on all LODs. I don't want the medium and low LODs to have a different texture than the High one. They all have the same material assignment.  I think I can get the right texture on all the LODs by fiddling with the RenderVolumeLOD setting but it has been my understanding that if I apply a texture to a material face, all the faces assigned that material would exhibit the same texture.

It is complicated to describe.

Ah alright, I have misread that then. Well that sounds strange. But it's definitely a matter of the assignment of the materials to the polygons. If you have multiple materials on the mesh, I would re-assign all the materials to the appropiate polygons on each LOD model and re-upload them.

RendervolumeLOD doesn't do any good in that regard, because everybody has it at a different setting anyway. And it doesn't do anything to the materials assignment at all.

I really don't know of this is it, but in Blender, you change the texture assigned in 2 ways. One way is in the materials and texture tabs. The other way, which I thought was strickly for the viewport, is to apply the actual material groups to the proper textures in the UV Editing layout, to see them properly in the viewport. I'm wondering if you didn't do the 2nd way to 1 of your LODs, and it causes this in SL. That's probably not it, but maybe.

It might also be worth checking in the texture tab, and making sure the right mapping is applied.

I think you are saying that you have the same materials on (parts of) the model at all LODs, but that when you replaced a texture on one of the SL faces at the high LOD, you did not see the new texture on the SL face at the lower LOPD, despite that fact that it had the same material assignment. I have certainly never seen that behaviour. I would have to agree with Arton that the most likely reason is that you didn't get the material assignments as you thought you had, so that the unchanged low LOD faces are actually a different material. You need to check that out. The uploader now uses the material names to identify distinct materials. So it must be the exact same name, not, for example, "nice_material" and "nice_material.001". That's what you would get in Blender if you duplicated the material on the second LOD instead of just assigning it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.