Maya / Glass Texturing

Barbie Glas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let me preface this by saying I have only taken a beginning course in modelling for Maya which was geared more towards the film industry and we barely touched on textures. 

My question is: Let's say I have a glass bottle I modelled in Maya. It currently has the lambert shader on it. How do you go about texturing it to look like glass so that it can be imported into SL?  

I've found a million tutorials on glass for rendering within Maya, but none for our purposes here in SL.  

Help please! I'll bake you cookies! :matte-motes-kiss:

Thanks for your reply! I did read that earlier so I guess if someone can't run advanced lighting they can't see the glass properly then? My concern is if i put a product out using this method, I will get im's from angry customers who can't see it properly. Perphaps making a more detailed texture with some highlights painted in and applying it to a duplicate item to be used if you can't use advanced lighting would suffice for those customers. 

You could try that, or just assume that most people these days are using computers that are capable of Advanced Lighting.  People with older equipment will always complain, but ultimately it's their problem if they are using computers that are behind the curve. Residents who don't have Advanced Lighting are already accustomed to not seeing glass that looks "glassy", so they shouldn't be too surprised if your nifty glass texturing doesn't look as nice as it would on better machines.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.