Larger prim sizes expected

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Because we get these new forums I thought I'd mention this subject again so we can chat about this promised feature. Some time ago LL announced that they would allow us to make prims bigger then the current maximum size of a prim of 10 by 10 by 10 meters. Not sure how big they are going to let us make them but it would possibly save us a lot of prims and also would make the megaprims useless. SO, what is the last news on this, when can we expect these prims, etc, etc.

The new limit on prim sizes is expected to be 64 meters. This is the limit on the beta grid where this feature along with meshes is being tested.

Good luck getting an answer on when it might appear, or even on how the beta is going. I have asked numerous times in numerous places and noone with any real information is talking about it.

Actually, there is a fresh thread somewhere in which Falcon Linden discusses the main issues still left to deal with before it can be moved to the main grid. It's looking like 2 months at least.

• Like 2

I think there's a catch 22 in there.... both mesh and large prims are dependant on prim encroachment, prim encroachment is depentent in part of physics/size calculations, which is also something that mesh is dependant on....

the physics/size calculations is the piece in the puzzle that unlocks the floodgate.

(I'm anxious for large prims too)

I hope that larger prims will just cost 1 prim, otherwise we will just stick to using those megaprims we already have.

I expect mesh to cost more but hopefully not much more.

If they do, nothing will change.

Unless they give us more prims per sim ;)

Jo Yardley wrote:

I hope that larger prims will just cost 1 prim, otherwise we will just stick to using those megaprims we already have.

I expect mesh to cost more but hopefully not much more.

If they do, nothing will change.

Unless they give us more prims per sim
;)

pretty sure they have to be to remain compatible with the physics engine, otherwise changing size could force an object over the prim limit for physics.

"...otherwise changing size could force an object over the prim LIMIT..."

As they are now, this problem can arise for meshes, because the prim cost does change with size. I believe the intention is that changes that would exceed the parcel capacity will be rejected, so as to avoid unexpected object returns.

It happens when you stretch the mesh using the edit tools. No scripts necessary. Switching the mesh geometry by script, which would be like switching the sculpt map in a sculpty, will not be possible from a script, but as far as I am aware there will be LSL access other object parameters, certainly to llScale(), which I just checked. The exception is rigged meshes whose sizes are fixed by the rigging, I think.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

It happens when you stretch the mesh using the edit tools. No scripts necessary. Switching the mesh geometry by script, which would be like switching the sculpt map in a sculpty, will not be possible from a script, but as far as I am aware there will be LSL access other object parameters, certainly to llScale(), which I just checked. The exception is rigged meshes whose sizes are fixed by the rigging, I think.

well doing it in edit is not suprising, since that's where creation happens..... although access to setScale on a mesh is, if they are going to change the prim count with size.....it's ripe for all sorts of abuses.

I think this has been answered, but I have played around with larger regular prims in the mesh beta grid and saw they still counted as one prim.

The larger prim sizes used in conjunction with mesh and sculpted prims will give builders a variety of tools to advance architecture in Second Life.  I am chomping at the bit myself.

• 5 weeks later...

It seems prim size is connected to the Mesh;

[16:29] Andrew Linden: no changes to prim size until mesh (yes, 64m)

[16:30] Maestro Linden: Yes, I think the plan is to allow 64m prims everywhere. But we probably don't want to flip the switch until encroachment is enabled on mainland

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Simulator_User_Group/Transcripts/2011.03.11

When is Mesh coming again?

Jo Yardley wrote:

When is Mesh coming again?

well you were headed in the right direction, just looking at the wrong user group transcripts.....

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh_User_Group

PS
I'll save you the effort of reading, and suggest you'll have better luck asking yourself next monday (it was an agenda item last meeting and never answered)

• 1 month later...

this weeks main channel roll got held up by problems of regions not restarting as expected (separate issue than the new server software) it's been rescheduled for next week... and include some of the prep code for mesh, which I assume includes prim size and encroachment options that will be switched on when ready

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed.. lets hope that they get these Megaprims enabled soon. Would love to build a much better (and more physics compatible) Skybox.

Even tho I hardly ever use any megs over the size of 32m, it would be nice to be able to adjust them much better than having to deal with the older, more unpredictable ones, which should be removed (and I will delete mine after the Megaprims are enabled), etc. Many skybox freebies use these older megaprims as well, and that can also be unpredictable.

Lets keep supporting those at LL in their endeavors to try to make these megaprims possible. and keep me updated!!

Peace..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.