is there a button to let only your friends comment and message you?

TimeofSand

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

No.  Anyone in Second Life can look you up in Search and send you an IM.  Just like looking someone up in the phone book!  However, you CAN set your Preferences to "only let my Friends see when I am online."  This doesn't mean that people can't send you a message...it just means that they won't know, until they send the message, whether you are on line or not.

If someone is being especially annoying, you can Mute them.  Right click their avatar and select Mute/Block, or click the Block button in their Profile.  Then you will no longer get IMs, receive inventory offers, or hear chat from them.  They will appear as a cloud of green mist.  You can't do this to everyone in the world, your Block list is limited to, I think, 256 names.

EDIT:  Oops!  Theresa is right.  I'd forgotten about that option!

• Like 1

TimeofSand wrote:

Like it says above in the title. Is there a button I can press or something where only the people in my friends list can comment or message me and not random people not on my friends list? 

Under "Preferences" - "Chat" you can select "Only friends and groups can call/IM me." That will control IM's.

For your web profile you can call it up and click the bottom "gear" button, then go to the "Privacy" tab. That will control what goes on with your profile feed.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.