Is there a way to inspect clothing, skin, eye layers on an avatar?

Giselle Melune

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not on someone else's avatar.

This is partly because what you're seeing on the person ISN'T the skin, shirt, pants and so-on.. what you're seeing is a composite image created by the other person's viewer, using the textures and settings from those assets.

If you want to know who made your own skin, eyes, and so on, locate them in your inventory, right click and select "properties" You'll see the creator's name, as well as the permissions available to you.

Giselle Melune wrote:

I know you can inspect the objects(prims) attached to an avatar.

But, I'm wondering if there is a way to inspect clothing layers, skin, eyes, tattoos etc. on an avatar?

Just so you can see the name or creators name.

Thank you for reading
:)

I honestly think that a polite im is the best way to ask about the items someone is wearing. Maybe ask them for a style card. There is no way of inspecting these tems as worn on another avatar that I know of.

Argus Collingwood wrote:

I honestly think that a polite im is the best way to ask about the items someone is wearing. Maybe ask them for a style card. There is no way of inspecting these tems as worn on another avatar that I know of.

It always feels good to get a compliment so I usually ask them where they found it.  Even for things I can easily look up myself and even sometimes after I already have.  It is a little compliment to their sense of style.

The problem with the old SLA is that it had to compete with the high-volume places like GD where answers were given in seconds and discussions would happen regarding not only the exact answer but other solutions as well.

I don't know what the new SLA is like, but I would not even think about going there for answers based on past experiences.  I don't intend to sound like I am against going there; it is more the case that it would not cross my mind.  My normal way of finding answers it to first ask in world over group chat (either the specific organization's group or TFC if it is a general question) folowed by asking in Resident Answers  umm, I mean General Discussion grrr, one of these SL fourms.  :smileyhappy:

Yep.. I've asked people but I think it would be a helpful feature to somehow add(if they could) so we're not always bothering everyone. Especially the people that make a big deal about the whole copying their "look" stuff, because that has certainly made people refuse to tell me when I ask.

Does anyone know of a in-world group where you can ask where products are from by providing a photo?

Giselle Melune wrote:

Yep.. I've asked people but I think it would be a helpful feature to somehow add(if they could) so we're not always bothering everyone. Especially the people that make a big deal about the whole copying their "look" stuff, because that has certainly made people refuse to tell me when I ask.

Does anyone know of a in-world group where you can ask where products are from by providing a photo?

You could always post the photo here, we love to guess about this sort of thing:smileywink:

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

The problem with the old SLA is that it had to compete with the high-volume places like GD where answers were given in seconds and discussions would happen regarding not only the exact answer but other solutions as well.

I understand, Rhonda.  I think the new setup is a vast improvement.  The Answers area is a visible tab at the top...much easier to get to and residents seem to be clamoring to help people posting questions.

To the OP:  I agree with Argus, posting a photo of something would be helpful.  There have been many successful identifications in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Giselle Melune wrote:

I like to use the Fashion Emergency group. A lot of designers and well informed shoppers use this group. It is great when you know exactly what you want, or even if you just have an idea of what you are looking for. There is always someone to help provide solutions and/or great alternatives.

Ziggy Starsmith wrote:

I am glad people can't snoop about your skin and clothing etc because sometimes I want to be unique and not have everybody copying me if I find a cool look. Just sayin'

I am somewhat torn on this topic... Because I do agree that sometimes I just really want to be unique and not have anyone copying me, but at the same time, I also want the stores and designers that I buy from to have great success and to continue providing me and others with quality products...

So while I do agree that it is probably best that people cannot snoop at our layers, if some stranger politely asked me where I got my skin from, for example, I would gladly let them know, and even pass them the Landmark. Because what are the chances of you seeing that person again, and even if you DO see them again, how likely is it that they will look exactly like you?

It just doesn't seem fair to the designers who spent countless hours creating products for our benefit, depriving them of potential business just for our own selfish gain....

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.