Private voice not exactly private.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a warning, private sl voice channel is probbably not so private. I was talking to my partner last night and i heard some girl giggling in the background for the entire conversation and strange noises like some simple game would make. I don't really assume anything is private anymore but this was pretty unsettling to me. I guess we'll be going to skype after this one. I'm just here to warn people this could also be happening when you're not necessarilly aware of it. Please be cautious in the case of rl information or use of rl names or whatever.

Lots of <3 to the community, Jaz

Actually, i don't think you get what i'm saying. there wasn't anyone there in my partner's house, someone apparently tapped into our conversation, no idea how, he couldn't hear her but i could. He thought i was going mad when i started asking questions to someone whom, for him, wasn't there. Lots of confusion, lol. Almost like some bad sketch. 

There obviously is a way of hacking into 'private' sl voice conversations. All i'm saying really.

Oh I get what you're saying but if you have PROOF that this is the case, then you need to file a SEC JIRA.  However, "I heard someone in the background of our voice chat" will get the same response that I gave.

There was someone in the background, in another room is the most likely answer and your partner didn't want to have that conversation about who it was. 

Jumping to the immediate assumption that SL voice chat can be "hacked" is drama laden.  Yes a session hijack could be feasible for example but these sort of things are true for any communications system which is why such investment into encryption takes place but even then, the security of the key is paramount and ways to get the key include but are not limited to:-

• Brute force (pointless and time wasting but can work if you're not in a hurry or don't plan on weak passphrases or good luck any time soon)
  • Statistical analysis or similar such analytical methods of enciphered data
  • Revealing/sharing (either deliberately or by accident, poor key handling)
  • Subversion/Phising
  • Coercion (Threatening to cut off the limbs of one's nearest and dearest.  Highly effective but often reserved for specifically targetted attacks of high value.)

Either way, giggling and Nintendo in the background doesn't rank up there as top reason to describe SL voice as non private and hackable.  Best to assume that ALL your comms on any platform are compromised and act accordingly.

jazmineh Chun wrote:

Actually, i don't think you get what i'm saying. there wasn't anyone there in my partner's house, someone apparently tapped into our conversation, no idea how, he couldn't hear her but i could. He thought i was going mad when i started asking questions to someone whom, for him, wasn't there. Lots of confusion, lol. Almost like some bad sketch. 

There obviously is a way of hacking into 'private' sl voice conversations. All i'm saying really.

This makes no sense. If someone was "hacking into" the conversation it would imply they wanted to listen, and I assume listen secretly. Why in the name of Pete's blue bicycle would they enable you to hear them?

Are you using a wireless headset? Basically they work with radio waves and like any radio apparatus they'd pick up interference from another device using the same frequency. And even if you aren't someone else could be and the wiring of your connection could be picking up a signal. I used to get radio station interference on my telephone line sometimes.

I think an understanding of Voice is needed here.

Private calls

Private calls between two Residents are not encrypted. However, the call does not pass through any Linden Lab or Vivox servers; they are conducted on a peer-to-peer basis between the two computers involved. "Peer-to-peer" means that when you initiate a private voice call, your computer connects directly to the other computer for the purposes of voice communication.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Voice_Chat_Privacy#Private_calls

When you initiate a Private call you get disconnected from spatial (In World) voice.  You can't be connected to both at once.

Also note this statement in the article on security:

"While it's possible for Linden Lab to work with Vivox to capture or log portions of conversations (either spatial or group voice chat) for diagnostic purposes, we do not do so as a matter of course unless we are diagnosing quality problems. "

What's omited here, what they can't listen in on, are 'private calls.'  They can't because private calls don't pass through the SL or Vivox servers.  Again, they are a direct connection between the computers of the two people involved.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Technical_overview_of_Second_Life_security#Voice_chat

Whatever (really whoever) you were hearing you'll have to draw your own conclusions.  But no one else was connected to your private call.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.