Understanding the Machinima Law

Braclo Eber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings,

I have been away from Second Life for a while, but while offline, I heard from friends that the license on Machinima and Snapshots has become more strict. Now I am kinda back and want to make a new machinima, but after reading about the license, I understand even less about what is going on. :smileymad: I really hate law jargon.

So my questions is: What is the license about textures? The scenes I want to film will be built by myself and only used for the set, so the textures I use, do I have to go find out all their licenses to make sure I am allowed to film it? I have several textures I got over the years that I was active, so honestly, finding out what is what from who is not going to be easy. :smileysad:

Hope someone can share a bit of light on this,

Thanks,

-Braclo

Well, I'll state my opinions or what I know, but please don't take anything i say as fact.

As far as I know, the new restrictions simply state that it is not implied that any1 can film everywhere. Each place has their own rules on how people are allowed to film on their parcels.

When it comes to actual real laws, this can only really be determined in court. Any1 giving any1 else advice on fair use, is simply speculating. One could view the law in this way, if you are not making a commercially sellable machinima, advertising a product, in some way making money on the machinima, or not in some way lowering the value of the items in the machinima, then no rules actually apply. That does not mean the parcel owner won't boot you tho, or that you won't have to defend yourself in court.

The new TOS with regard to machinima state that you need the consent of anyone who is recognisable in any film you make (so be careful to get assent from all those who you film if you film say a crowd of avatars).

You need permission to film on land that is NOT owned by Governor Linden - so any public land you can film on, otherwise you need explicit permission from the landowner. There may be cases where kind souls have given permission in the about land tab, OR in the covenant.If there is no explicit permission in those two you must ask and wait for permission.

With regard to textures, I always inform content builders that I am using their stuff, unless its for a fleeting second - they are usually overjoyed! The TOS actually gives you licence to film when the texture is uploaded, so this is just a courtesy.

Hope that helps!

So filming buildings on my own land with textures on them, I should be fine then?

Years ago I did a kind of Adventure on Second Life through several sims by walking, sailing and driving. It was like a documentary, traveling over the mainland. Im guessing that movie ain't to legit now, since I should have asked every single person who's land I crossed? Below is the first episode in that series.

Thank you both Medhue Simoni and Toxic Menges for your replies!

I have selected your post, Tonic, as the sollution. Thank you very much for the help. I enjoy letting people know aswell when I film about their stuff and so on. People were usually very happy knowing their stuff is worth being in a movie :D Thanks again for the replies. :smileyvery-happy:

Toxic Menges wrote:

The new TOS with regard to machinima state that you need the consent of anyone who is recognisable in any film you make (so be careful to get assent from all those who you film if you film say a crowd of avatars).

You need permission to film on land that is NOT owned by Governor Linden - so any public land you can film on, otherwise you need explicit permission from the landowner. There may be cases where kind souls have given permission in the about land tab, OR in the covenant.If there is no explicit permission in those two you must ask and wait for permission.

With regard to textures, I always inform content builders that I am using their stuff, unless its for a fleeting second - they are usually overjoyed! The TOS actually gives you licence to film when the texture is uploaded, so this is just a courtesy.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Tox :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.