64 bit operating system

esperanza Lavender

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i have a 64 bit operating system and am told sl only supports 32 bit operating systems and therefore this may be why i am experiencing many issues with being able to rez or my sl freezin up on me. Is there anyway i can correct this or set my preferences/graphics to where this won't happen until sl can upgrade to the 64 bit system?

8 answers to this question

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Windows_7

This question comes up a lot in the forums in varied forms, and this page is a stopgap to answer:

• Is the Second Life Viewer compatible with Windows 7?
  • Does Second Life run on Windows 7?
  • Can I use Second Life on Windows 7?

The answer is officially YES from Linden Lab, with the following details:

• The Second Life Viewer is supported on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7. What's the difference?
  • The System Requirements page needs to be updated,  since "Windows 7 (32-bit only)" has caused considerable confusion.  Changes are pending in the queue behind other web updates. Yes, it  sounds counterintuitive — dontcha wish it was as easy to change some  text there as this wiki?
  • What "Windows 7 (32-bit only)" means on the System  Requirements page is: the Second Life Viewer itself is a 32-bit  executable. Relevant discussion with the pros and cons can be found on VWR-7716 and linked issues.
  • Some of the most common problems reported with a "Viewer 2.x and Windows 7" system are due to non-Windows 7-specific reasons:
    • Non-existent or outdated  graphics card drivers. Be sure to update them — that's true for every version of Windows.
    • If your hardware is underpowered to begin with and doesn't  otherwise meet the System Requirements, the Viewer won't run well, or at  all. For example, netbooks with "Windows 7 Starter" that have too slow a  CPU or graphics card.

What's your exact problem?

• Like 1

Well when i go into certain sims it is taking a mega long time for everything to rez or mah sl screen will just freeze all together. There are only certain sims i can go to where there is really no one around that i am able to rez into or not freeze up. its a new computer so i am really not sure what the issue can be. When i have emerald viewer it worked great. Unfortunately emerald is no longer avail. I am currently using Phoenix viewer but have also tried viewer 2 emergence and imprudence and have the same issues.

Windows 7 -- 64 bit -- Second Life -- No problems

If somepody says  the 64 bit version of Win 7 won't run SL or any other 32 bit software they are merely showing their ignorance of windows. Win 7 recognizes 32 bit software and puts is in a compatibility box.  You can even look in the program directory and see that sl is in a special directory.   Read my blog post   of last August (above) .

Ignorance ain’t so much not knowing things as knowing so many things that ain’t so.

From your description of what you are experiencing the 64 bit part of any operating system has nothing to do with it.  The slow rezzing, freezing, or crashing is much more likely to be a graphics problem.

Launch SL but don't log in.  Under the help menu click on "About Second Life" and copy the spec your viewer lists and paste them back here.  Without something about your system no one can help you.  New computer, old computer or somewhere in between...........we need specs to try to help you.

• Like 1

Phoenix Viewer 1.5.2 (908) Feb 10 2011 19:52:00 (Phoenix Viewer Release)
Release Notes

Built with MSVC version 1400 (LAA)

CPU: AMD E-240 Processor (1496.28 MHz)
Memory: 2663 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1052
OpenGL Version: 4.0.10318 Compatibility Profile Context

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.20.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.697, Runtime: 1.4.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1

hope this helps  i really appreciate the time ya'll are takin

I believe this might be your computer (or one very similar):

http://shop.amd.com/CA/_layouts/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=059624F&region=ca-en

Your graphics is incorporated into your CPU.......it's new technology really.  The graphics are not really suited for 3D graphics........it's more for programs that use only 2D graphics but according to some reviews it does 3D (just not well).

You might want to go to the computer manufacturer's site and look for a driver update.........I'm not sure how you would update a graphics chipset that is part of the CPU but your manufacturer's site will probably have the answer.

It seems that computer wasn't designed for gaming.  And for SL to run well you need a computer capable of 3D gaming..........not a gamer's rig, but better than a low end machine too.  One with a discrete card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.