Sign in to follow this  

Crashes while loading on Vista, loads on XP

Question

9 answers to this question

I have tried the main version on the site, and the beta version.  I have not tried third party viewers, or the older version.  

What are your system specs?

Announcement:                 Asking for tech help? Be sure to provide your system info!

If  your question is of a technical nature, like "Why do I keep crashing  when I wear my animation override?" or "How come my graphics look messed  up?", please BE SURE TO PROVIDE YOUR SYSTEM INFO (click the link for how to do it, it's easy!). Other Residents can't effectively help you without knowing these details first, so it's absolutely necessary for you to share.

by Torley Linden at Sep 15, 2010 3:56 PM

SKaylor  wrote:

I am having difficulty loading the Second Life viewer on a Laptop with Windows.  It loaded once, then every time I log in, it gets to the point where it says "Loading Clothes" then crashes.  I find this odd because The viewer loads on my Netbook, which uses XP, and an old PC that does not even meet the requirements to run Second Life.  My laptop meets the recommended requirements, not just the minimum, and it the best working of the three machines.

Normally, I would have given up on such a program by now, but I need it (please don't laugh) for grad school.  Any assistance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Not really odd that it would run on one machine but not another.  In fact its helpful because it means the problem is most likely isolated to the Vista system and not related to SL or your network connection from the router out.   I suspect a graphics driver issue or a software firewall on the system blocking inbound traffic.  But I'm having trouble figuring out exactly when during the load process this happens.  I've watched my viewer (V2.4) about 5 times and I never see "Loading Clothes"  during the startup process.

I would say start with a graphics driver update.  And as Irene pointed out, specs would be useful.

--Cinn

Lap top

Windows Vista Home Premium

Memory=4GB RAM

System type: 64 bit operating system

Processor:2.10GHz AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobil ZM 80

Thank you for your response.

SKaylor  wrote:

Lap top

Windows Vista Home Premium

Memory=4GB RAM

System type: 64 bit operating system

Processor:2.10GHz AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobil ZM 80

Everything but the most important part.     What kind of graphics card is in the system?  And have you updated the graphics drivers to the latest version?

--Cinn

• Like 1

Hi SKaylor,

Is this resolved? If so could you mark the thread as answered so that it drops off of the unanswered list & could help others with the same problem. Thank you