Script permissions not being recognized...Help??

Annie Melson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have an object that uses a simple script. The problem isn't with the details within the script. The problem I have is that the script isn't recognizing the permissions I put to it. I have the script set to be modifiable by the next owner (so people can change the text wording) and as a default it is also transfer. However when the next owner goes to modify the script is isn't allowing them to even view the script, much less modify it. The script is not set to a group, so that isn't the problem. I'm not a scripting genius. In fact, I hate scripts LOL! But this is a simple permissions problem. I can't figure this out and really could use the help.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Annie Melson wrote:

I have an object that uses a simple script. The problem isn't with the details within the script. The problem I have is that the script isn't recognizing the permissions I put to it. I have the script set to be modifiable by the next owner (so people can change the text wording) and as a default it is also transfer. However when the next owner goes to modify the script is isn't allowing them to even view the script, much less modify it. The script is not set to a group, so that isn't the problem. I'm not a scripting genius. In fact, I hate scripts LOL! But this is a simple permissions problem. I can't figure this out and really could use the help.

You didn't mention copy permissions.  What is that set to?  I'm not sure you can have a modifiable script without it also being copyable.

--Cinn

Annie Melson wrote:

Really?? That's a bummer. Yeah I don't have it set to Copy. It's for a gift box so it has to be transfer so the recipient can see the message the script gives. So the only way for this to work is for the script to be full perm?

I'm not 100% certain so would be nice for someone else to chime in.  But think about it.  A script is nothing but text.  If you can open the script in an edit window, then you can copy it into a notecard so there would be no copy protection if a script can be modified.

I think the standard approach for what you want to do is to use a notecard along with the script.  The notecard can be mod/copy and contains the data which the user can modify.  That way the script can be no copy/no mod.  Obviously will take a rewrite of the script to get the text from the notecard.

Edit to add:  If all you are looking for is to allow the user to change floating text above the gift, you can also use a script that displays the Object name in floating text.  That way the script is no mod/no copy and the object is mod/no copy allowing the user to change its name that will in turn change the floating text.

One more edit :  I think you can set the script to copy/mod/transfer and the object(gift box) to no copy/mod/transfer and accomplish what you want

--Cinn

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.