Lag Frame rate below 10

ivor Sweetwater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can anyone help my frame rate has suddenly dropped below ten, I have taken off all meters and anything else that may have an effect but still below 10. It does not matter which sim I am on. My walk has become very hesitant in other words I walk a little then stop walk a little more and stop ect. Any help would be great.

7 answers to this question

I have been having intermittent internet connectivity, just enough to disconnect voice, but not enough to get logged out of SL. This is most likely my ISP. The last time I had similar but worse problems, I complained by phone to my ISP. They led me through some tests and we determined that my "Router" in my home was having issues. They "watched" as my Router "Dropped Packets". I am currently stuck in a 1 computer home as I have not replaced the router. With my new connection issues, I am now wondering if my ISP's Cable Modem located in my home is getting old and tired. I suggest you do a "Ping Test" and or Traceroute to some major points in your "Internet Cloud". For example; I live in Florida, USA and we often run a ping test out to a main "HUB" in California; which is a convenient test seeing as how; I Believe; the SL Servers reside in that part of the USA. If you are not very computer savvy, search for speed test or ping test or packet test with your favorite search engine to get some help running said tests. If you get good results - you can start looking at your SL Client/Viewer/Avatar/Account.... Best Wishes....

Message was edited by: Dark LarkspurPS: Check this thread for more info on doing things like clearing cache and looking for background processes running on your computer.http://blogs.secondlife.com/message/97388#97388

• Like 1

Are  many possibility ...but an idea would  be to check  your graphic preferences .From the walk comment  i  would  check if  your  view draw distance

has not been set  high.That can  have a direct effect  I change it as needed  sometimes 500+   but usually I keep less than 100.

The other graphic preferences  can   reduce to see if   improves performance .

May  work  may  not  if not   then we  can  see if another idea .

• Like 1

Hello Ivor, plaese try the suggestions in Reducing lag - Second Life Wiki

• The video is jerky or stuttering, pauses for long periods of time, and everything stops moving, including my avatar.
  • My avatar takes forever to start walking, won't stop walking for several seconds, and chat does not appear for a long time.

Close the Viewer. Clear the Cache from Outside Second Life You can check the Disk Cache location, for each Viewer, from the login screen Preferences > Network or Setup.

Shutdown   your computer. Fully unplug your cable modem, router, and other gear  you use to access the Internet for several minutes so that residual     memory is cleared. This may purge "stale" settings.

Log into Region Smith, see Changing your login location and let your Inventory fully load.

When your Inventory has fully loaded. Close the Viewer and relog.

Nope my speed is good still faltering when moving.

What is packet loss? Packets of data travel across computer networks,  including the Internet, home or any corporate network. If one or more  of these packets fails to reach its destination, packet loss occurs.  These lost or dropped packets can result in performance issues.

If your network transport protocol provides for packet recovery, a  transmitted packet that is lost will be re-sent. However, it will be  re-sent along with every other packet of data that had been sent after  it. This causes the overall throughput of the connection to drop.

Connection difficulties can lie in any of the following sources.

• Your home network
  • Use of a wireless network
  • Your ISP
  • A third-party Internet connection between your ISP and our host.
  • Occasionally with our provider's network

To check the network connection

If you still have problems, please post your System Info

Asking for tech help? Be sure to provide your system info!

If your question is of a technical nature, like "Why do I   keep       crashing   when I wear my animation override?" or "How come   my     graphics   look  messed  up?", please BE SURE TO PROVIDE YOUR SYSTEM INFO (click the link for how to do it, it's easy!). Other Residents can't effectively help you without knowing these details first, so it's absolutely necessary for you to share.

and a screenshot of the the Statistics bar.

Which viewer?

If you are using SLV2.3... try clearing the cache and if that fails uninstall and reinstall. In between manually delete all the files, caches and settings. They are in C:\User\\AppData\Local and Roaming\SecondLife or SecondLife2.

Once your cache is full the viewer slows down. It takes time to search for an old texture to delete then downloads the new texture, all of which uses up CPU cycles. You can also set your cache to use more disk space if you are in world for long periods and visit lots of places.

If you mess with settings or use mutiple viewers, the graphics setting can get wacked. Setting something in one viewer can change another viewer. Also a viewer crash can mess them up. Some times just clearing the settings file and letting it rebuild is as good as a reinstall. Settings are in C:\User\\AppData\Roaming\Seondlife\user_settings. You can empty the folder.

If you want to keep your chat logs, they are in Roaming.

Also click Help -> About and see if you are in one of the release channels. You'll see something in the server info about Blue Steel, Le Tigre, or Magnum. If so, hop to a region not in a release channel and see if it makes a difference.

If this is a sudden change and you have not upgraded or changed anything, it is highly probable that something in the network connection changed. It may be SL or your ISP. A speed test to San fran will tell if it is your ISP. Things are changing on SL's net and some days just suck.

Another possibility is a Windows Update... look through your update history for recent changes. If you have not added programs to your computer or made other serious changes you can try a system restore rollback to before the last set of system updates and see what that does. It can be undone, so it is not a drastic measure. Just remember to undo it if nothing improves.

Use Ctrl-Shift-1 to watch the details of your viewer and sim performance. You can also see ping time (but in many cases it lies) and lost packets (never lies). Most importantly you can see your viewer FPS and the SIM FPS and that tells you if it is you that is lagging or the region.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.