Group land and land tier costs?

Sonya Bigboots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4954 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I am thinking of buying some land to build a private play area that only group members can access.

While I don't mind buying the land and buildings etc., I don't want to get left paying the monthly land tier usage fees all alone for years on end as well. I realise that group members can chose to donate land tier to the group to reduce this bill, but if the donated land tier does not cover all the full monthly tier bill who pays the difference? Me alone as land owner (with the land deeded or given to the group in some way), or is it split between all group members with "pay-group-liabilities roles" equally?

(I would also like to point out I will be very, very open about this - I do not want a situation where people join a group without knowing the implications and then end up getting billed unexpectedly!).

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Sonya.

5 answers to this question

First off, the land must actually be DEEDED to the group (not just set to group) in order for other donations to apply.  Then if people remove their donations to a point where the group does not have enough to cover the land, you have roughly 24-48 hours to rectify the problem or the land will be taken by LL.

Nobody is ever billed because of a shortage, so nobody will get any surprise billing.  Where the 'pay liabilities' role comes in is if the land is listed in search, the weekly L$30 will be taken evenly from everyone with that role and if you sell all or part of the land, the proceeds will be given equally to all with that role.

Also, a group gets a 10% bonus on tier, so if the donations total 2048, the group can actually own 2252m of land.  Looked at the other way, if the group owns 2048m of land, the group needs a total of 1862m of tier donations.

As it looks like listing the site in search would cost something like 8p a week, or under £5 a year (depending on what the dollar is trading at compared to the Pound), I think I could live with that And as I want to create a private place, I probably wouldn't bother advertising the site anyway if it was group owned. Or are there some more land liabilities to consider?

I'm more worried about being left holding the "land tier" baby. Sounds like if other people pulled out I would have to pledge to pay more land tier myself to make up the difference or risk losing the land. Is that right?

Sonya Bigboots wrote:

Sounds like if other people pulled out I would have to pledge to pay more land tier myself to make up the difference or risk losing the land. Is that right?

Exactly correct  

When group tier donations drop below the tier necessary to cover the group-owned land, someone(s) have to tier up to cover the difference in 24-48 hours or the land will be lost.

--Cinn

• Like 1

One other suggestion should you decide to do this.  Do NOT have multiple group owners.  We get enough OMG help me threads here in the swampy blogs when group owners have a dispute and the original group founder and land purchaser finds themselves out of the group.  I actually think they pull out of the group believing that the land ownership will automatically revert back to them.  Which of course it will not.  You can give the people who join the group and donate tier almost all of the group privledges including the sharing of group revenue and liabilities.  But don't make them owners and don't give them privledge to sell group land.

The only time to have multiple owners is when the other owner is your alt!  Edited to add: Which by the way I also recommend having an alt as an owner.  If you are clearing excess groups from your group list and you accidentially remove yourself from your land group, your alt would be in a position to bring you back in as owner.

--Cinn

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4954 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.