How much Gigabyte does an avatar consumes?

Steve Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Yes, I know it depends on several factors like:

1- If you are (or not) on an empty SIM with no objects around;

2- If the avatar has (or not) a lot of attachments;

3- If the avatar is wearing clothes, or if at an Adult SIM it is naked;

4- If the avatar is alone, or there are other avatars around.

5- Etc!

So, what basically I want to know is not the exact Gigabyte, but the average, perhaps someone could establish a minimum and a maximum consumption. Anyone?

6 answers to this question

Gigabytes do not relate very well to bandwidth which is measured in bits not bytes.  You can control the amount of bandwidth coming downstream from SL in preferences  from 100 to 10000 kilobits per sec.  Depends of the performance you want, the size of your internet pipe and the processing capabilities of your system.

Somehow I get the impression your question has to do with imposed limits by Internet service providers on maximum data allowed per month. Fortunately my ISP doesn't limit my consumption nor do they report it back to me

--Cinn

• Like 1

Unfortunately that's impossible to say. The textures on the avatar will consume some bandwidth, until they are finished downloading. As the avatar moves, it will generate messages to your viewer, telling the viewer how it moved, these use bandwidth. But the most bandwidth has little to do with avatars directly at all.  It's all mostly texture/sound downloads, and 'event' messages when something changes in the environment.

The larger your draw distance, the more 'events' the viewer will be notified about, the more textures that will be downloaded, and the more bandwidth you will use.

• Like 1

hum... sometimes I look at what happens with the network....

to make short...

average SL sessions... 2 hours... 4 TP with full loading of sim (yess I often clear my cache)

don't know if the distance limit has ot do there... but set to 128m

all others graphics are set on ultra

result: between 350Mo and 600Mo per session went throught the network..... sooo happy my ISP doesn't count it!!!!!

@ Cinnamon.Lohner My ISP measures it in Gigabytes, not in bits, but then they managed to have the worst, and the most expensive Internet connection in the face of Gods Earth, and yes, they do limit consumption. Thank you for the explanation! It helps a lot!

@ Darien Caldwell Thank you for the explanation! It helps a lot!

@ nelly Ishtari Thank you! It was the kind of information I was looking for. Tough SL sessions are not the same for everyone, as a result of so many factors, like Cinnamon and Darien pointed out, your numbers gave me an idea of what happens in terms of bandwidth consumption in SL.

I have been with my actual ISP for the past 2 years, but I have never had a warning from them concerning to bandwidth consumption. Last month it was reported I have a bandwidth consumption of 120GB. This month I have reached 30GB in the middle of the month.

So, I have ordered a new ISP service that has no bandwidth comsuption limit.

Thank you all!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.