help - can't make object smaller

Rachael Roxley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey guys,

I've created something and I've linked all the parts together, all the different parts are one object now. The only thing that I'm having trouble with now is that I go to "stretch" it smaller and it won't budge! It will go larger, but not smaller. PLEASE help me! Thanks!

12 answers to this question

It's not just a tiny 0.01 cube. It could be 10.0x10.0x0.01, and you'd be unable to either shrink or stretch it.

There are a few tricks you can pull, depending on the prim which is limiting you. If I recall right, Path Cut can let you have a visible 0.01, while the actual prim dimension is 0.02--it's the same little trick as for a hinged door, hiding half the door so that the centre of rotation is at the visible edge. I've seen some older, complicated, models which could now be done as sculpties, and which could have had some of the complexity done with a transparency map.

NCI (in the Kuula region) runs a regular class on jewelery-making, which covers methods of using tiny prims.

This limit is why some old models are ridiculously huge, compared to an avatar, and maybe part of the reason why some people have such tall avatars.

• Like 1

There are no super tiny parts making up this object. And I don't think that "10.0x10.0x0.01" prim you mentioned would be the issue even if that was the case, because I can stretch it as much as I want... however, I can't shrink it and make it smaller. And that's what I want to do.

"And I don't think that "10.0x10.0x0.01" prim you mentioned would be the issue"

It must be the issue. Because there is a difference between shrink and stretch...

In Second Life, no prim can be less that .01 meters in any given dimension (width, length, or height).
When you try to resize an object, you often find you can't shrink it below a certain size.
This is because one of the prims in the object is already at it's minimum size in one of it's dimensions.

• Like 1

If any dimension of any prim in the object is .01, then you can't stretch the whole object any smaller by the white corner handles. See if you can stretch it smaller by any of the other handles. The one that will not go smaller is the one that controls the dimension of the limiting size.Something that will stretch bigger but not smaller is usually limited in this way.

The point being made was even if you have only one single dimension in your object close to the minimum size of 0.01, you'll never be able to shrink the linked object. And you can only shrink or grow linked objects in all three dimensions (x-y-z) at once; there is sadly no feature for squashing or stretching them. So the offending prim is a showstopper.

There is nothing else that will stop an object resizing downwards. If you have a very thin prim, fatten it a bit before you shrink the object.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.