IT'S JUST A MESS,I'm a cloud,I won't move anywhere,I keep crashing,no one gets my IM'S

bellahilary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

IT'S A MESS! EVERYTHING,my avi's a cloud,I keep crashing as soon as I log on, I can't move forward,backwards left or right,I can't send IM's and I don't get them either,SOMEONE HELP ASAP TRIED MANY VIEWRS AND NOTHING WORKS!!

I use macbook pro to play second life,everything was fine till 2 days ago...

Second Life version 3.7.13.292225 (3.7.13.292225)

6 answers to this question

Without knowing about your PC specs and your internet connection it is very hard to give you a hint. But for now it sounds like you have a low/ not reliable internet connection and or a low end PC that doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

Here's a link about connection issues and how to deal with it: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ and then here the link to the minimum you need to run Second Lifes viewer: https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/?lang=en-US

If you can't find the solution or struggle with terms, PC specs, please edit your original post (top right hand Options-Edit) and add your PC specs, you will find those in the SL viewer at the top menu "Help-About Second Life". Just copy&paste that info to the post. Even we are "only" residents like you, we will try to help you as good as we can.

(BTW, Take a deep breath and calm down :)

• Like 1

bellahilary wrote:

[ .... ]

I use macbook pro to play second life,everything was fine till 2 days ago...

Second Life version 3.7.13.292225 (3.7.13.292225)

Thank you for adding that information.  It's probably not your computer, then, but it's almost certainly your Internet connection. Something has changed.  Here are a few things to check:

1. Reboot your router and modem by unplugging both from the power for a few minutes.  Then plug tham back in and restart the computer.  Routers, especially, can accumulate RAM errors over time that interfere with the quality iof a connection.

2. If you're on a wireless connection, switch to a direct LAN cable connection between your computer and the router.  Many people have no trouble at all with wireless, but Linden Lab does not recommend it.  Older equipment or equipment in areas with electronic interference can have degraded performance.

3. Even if you are not using wireless, consider possible sources of electronic interference. (A friend of mine suddenly had bad connection problems when he turned on the electric fan he had at his feet during the summer.  It was sitting on top of his Internet cable.)

4. Try changing the DNS server settings for your computer.  See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/dns_fail

5. If none of those things helps, please do read the somewhat technical information on Nalates's blog.  Sven gave you the link in his post.

Thanks for adding the info ( I wanted to have the whole info window, but ok for now). Did you try anything suggestet of the first link I posted? Using a Mac you need to make sure you use the Mac OS 10.7 or newer now. Anything older might cause strange errors.

If that is the case, try at first to restart your DSL Modem/Router. Fore that you unplug the powercord(s) and wait 1-2 minutes and plug it in again and try it again. In some cases you might have luck and it will fix it. If you did use wireless, try also a wired connection...maybe some friends/neighbours have also (new) wireless and that might interfere.

Checking all cables between your router and modem and Mac if they are damaged in some way is a good idea.

Even Natalas writing sounds a bit techie, reading it can help you narrow down the issue. In some cases you might need to call the ISP to fix it. Even if the rest of the internet seems to work well for you, there might be some trouble with the connection.

• Like 1

Hehe. You have to be wearing a skin and shape, by definition, but you are quite right that your inventory will not load completely if you are not fully logged in. As a result, the skin and shape may not appear in inventory and therefore are not available to render on your avatar. In other words, your skin and shape are there, but your viewer can't read the instructions about how to draw them. If your viewer cannot find an inventory reference to use for rendering something, it uses a placeholder. For your av, that's a cloud. That's why changing your skin, shape, hair base, or eyes can usually fix a bake fail.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.