One of the most annoying rigging issue [POKE THROUGH]

VulpesVulpes666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've made this dress in Marvelous Designer and it is made of 3 parts or meshes,skirt,vest,and collar.I am out of ideas how to rig this dress, when i assign weights from meshes(in Avastar) it gives me unsatisfying results,SL avatar meshes are awfully weighted so copying weights from meshes is definetly absurd.Copying weights from bones is even worst,so does anone have any idea how to rig this dress?.Thanks

Marvelous Designer

you  can see the result in Blender of poking through of one mesh though another when weights are copied from meshes it also comes to distortions of mesh (all kinds) and manual weight paint is impossible in this situation

Blender

I'll try to give you a couple of suggestions to help. I've rigged lots of clothing for myself and even more for designers, so I've seen most problems. First, you probably need to add more chest influence to the mesh in that area and probably reduce influences from the collar bone and arm. 2nd, you should give the 2 meshes some distance from each other to make up for this problem.

I suggest you look through these videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/gaiaclary

Also, check this article: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/04/23/second-life-shape-export/

Both of those will give some ideas of the problems you'll have bringing them into SL.

Copying the weights from the SL avatar is just a starting point. Several tutorials make the point you need to create a base avatar with about twice as many faces as the SL avatar and get it well weighted and working nicely. Then use it for all future weight transfers.

If you have poke through in Blender, you are likely to have a disaster once imported to SL. Most of us use alpha layers to to deal with poke-through.

The shape sliders change the default avatar body at a different rate then they do fitted mesh. So, you are never going to have a one-size-fits-all. I suspect that is part of the reason that mesh bodies like Slink's are becoming popular. The addon mesh body changes at the same rate as fitted mesh clothes, since it too is fitted mesh. So, it is easier to make one-size fits all item. One still has to get the clothes weighting similar to the mesh body for changes to be consistant between body and clothes.

PS: Wow, this is my 3,000th post...

I don't use Blender but have had plenty of experience with Marvelous Designer and rigging with Maya.

There is a fairly simple way to get rid of the poke through of underlining mesh clothes.

Make all three pieces of your mesh into one mesh and delete those faces that are underneath since those are not supposed to be visible anyway.

It looks like you are using the mesh straight out of Marvelous Designer without retopolizing it into quads.  Quads are easier to rig and weight.  They also look better in SL because you don't get that mottled shading pattern.

I know you use Blender but here are a few videos I made on how to make Marvelous Designer mesh into quads using Maya.  The videos will help you see how quads can look with good edgeflow which makes the mesh move much better than the mesh straight out of Marvelous Designer.

First video the audio is kind low so you may have to turn up your volume.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

Thanks for reply i've seen these videos,they're great but i have also seen that major creators of second life clothing are using decimated mesh successfully without problems.Anyways nor SL neither Avastar are perfect,technology still needs to develop in order to not have problems like poke through and alpha masking,BUT how would LL make money if there are not flaws like that,they know it and they don't want to fix it.I would let people first test the clothing inworld and then if it is fine i would let them decide if they want to pay for upload of mesh and textures,otherwise they are making money with broken items,so you need to fix the problems ten times before you finally get the right result,and 10x for example when you pay 30,40 etc. amount of lindens per item you get the idea how much money they can make,it is the lousy and lazy company,without any assistence they don't even provide tools and tutorials(most of them if there are are outdated) for creating better SL.I love SL but monopolism is one of the dark sides of the capitalism,oh well what can we do:smileymad:

VulpesVulpes666 wrote:

Anyways nor SL neither Avastar are perfect,technology still needs to develop in order to not have problems like poke through and alpha masking

Avastar has been carefully designed to break in the same way as SL does. In some case it took us a while to implement the wonkiness...  well, honestly we try as much as we can to reproduce whatever happens in SL. we do this so that you can already see in Blender how it will break in SL. And admitedly we have not yet reached the perfect match :matte-motes-evil-invert: 

VulpesVulpes666 wrote:

I would let people first test the clothing inworld and then if it is fine i would let them decide if they want to pay for upload of mesh and textures...

Isn't Aditi giving that to you ? A free playground to test your creations... However you also could get your own OpenSim installed right into your Computer...

Greetings Gaia ,the problem with Aditi is limited lindens amount i have received just 15,000L$ and when i spend that what to do then???,at least that is something:smileyvery-happy:, but my mistake i was not informed that mesh  beta testing for SL exist at all,"seek and ye shall find"thanks for this valuable info,and also don't get me wrong i don't have anything bad to say for the Avastar you have probably invested ton of efforts to keep this superb addon that helped me a lot at its best,but you don't get all 100% same results in Avastar and SL,nevertheless thanks to Avastar i did much easier and correct job than with just a skeleton rig,it helped me a lot and i am grateful that someone smart made such a great tool for SL creativity:heart:

That is a great news Gaia at least it is something as long as i don't have to spend real money on testing the mesh,valuable information can really save you some money,i am deeply grateful because i spent a lot of L$ for broken items,for which i now regret,you see i am new to all of this i am almost 2 years old resident of SL and i was using it just for fun and recently(almost 4 months ago) i came up with the idea to invest some efforts to make some cash out of it,i have knowledge of 3d graphics from before,i was even programming in 2003 game engine based on a grid terrain model much like the one that SL is using,it was a 3d engine based on cells and each individual cell was containing certain amount of triangle fans,i even implemented tools for terrain editing,in that time i was inspired by Morrowind game engine that really blew my mind,it also used OpenGL rendering system,but that was a time of great hardware limitations,there was no shaders like we have today and the amount of data that can be rendered was also limited,so i quit with that project,here is how it looked like

Phobos Game editor

Pretty cool!

Most of the time, I don't worry much about paying for uploads. I'm pretty bad about it tho. I likely upload something a dozen or more times, when we are talking avatars. Even animations tho, at least a few times. When I do get smart tho, I'll upload the meshes and test them in InWorldz first. They still give the same results for most things, plus it encourages me to sell those items in InWorldz too.

Heck, I recently did my rigged cobra snake for SL, and I bet I uploaded him over a dozen times now. The rest of them are definitely going to be uploaded in InWorldz first. Hmm, it just him me, maybe I'll make a snake you can wear too, not just an avatar. I could still make his jaw move, but his eyes won't work. lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.