Cannot sit on non-scripted objects - Anyone else suffered and solved this?

DR Dahlgren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

On and off I have been having problems on my sim and other places, where I cannot sit on an unscripted prim or object. I used to be able to restart the sim and this would correct it, at least for a time. This only seems to happen on private regions, but I can not find anything in region management that would seem to effect this.

Now it seems to be a perminent issue. This is a real handicap for building and sometimes moving quickly to a spot (rez a prim, sit, edit location).

I have totally given up on the that POS jira issue tracker. I tried "cannot sit non-scripted" and "cannot sit unscripted" and "cannot sit prim" and "cannot sit object unscripted" in the quick search. In every case it returned 5380 some entries going all the way back to early '07 and no matter how I sorted it, I could not find anything current on this, but did find several UnResolved from 2007.  What a total POS the jira is. Useless as tits on a turtle.

Anyway, does anyone have any information on this obvious bug?  Any usefull suggestions?

10 answers to this question

DR Dahlgren wrote:

This only seems to happen on private regions

Is it really limited to private regions, or does it just happen, when the prim to be sat on is located within another (maybe phantom, maybe invisible) prim or within a sculptie-prim's bounding box? Note that this case might occur more frequently on private regions due to megaprim usage.

See also and maybe vote for http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-3811' rel="nofollow" target=_blank>SVC-3811.

I have not seen it happen on any mainland region. I am not so inexperienced that I would be talking about a problem caused by another prim or mega prim. This happens currently anywhere on my region, a private homestead sim. I have seen it on other private regions as well. You rez a prim and then attempt to right click it and sit, and you get a No place to sit error. In the past, restarting the sim corrected the issue for some, which I pointed out in my OP. That would not occur if another prim was conflicting with the attempted sit. Now though, nothing seems to correct. Thanks for trying though.

I thought I would ask here hoping maybe someone else had seen the issue and knew a correction, but after several days on the list here, only one answer that is unfortunately not helpful, I guess I will open a ticket on it. Not holding out much help there either.

Well, after seeing how many people seemed to think it was a mega-prim issue, I went back and looked at my sim. I have a set of off sim mountains that give the island the look of being in the center of an old volcanic cone.  While they are sclupted mega prims, I did not see how this could be causing the issue. I assumed they did not extend to the island center, but they do, and it is.

The bounding boxes for these mountains extend up substanially beyond the visible height, and once above that BB, you can sit on an unscripted prim. So it appears that because the prim or object is within the BB of the mega-prim, the system sees you as trying to sit on the mega-prim and does not allow it.

I found on my sim that once above 144.039m in alt I could sit on a plain box. I then moved the mountains up .5 m and could no longer sit on the same box. Moving it up to 144.539 caused me to be able to sit on it again, so, there was the answer. As a side note, they also cause the land of my sim to not show on the map. ( /me slaps forehead - should have been a better clue)

Thanks to all who contributed and my apologies to Boroondas Gupte for doubting his answer. A clear case of condemnation before investigation and I stand corrected. I will leave this up for a day and then close it as answered.

DR Dahlgren wrote:

my apologies to Boroondas Gupte for doubting his answer. A clear case of condemnation before investigation and I stand corrected.

Heh, no problem. I was just suggesting that it might be this issue, but seeing how many issues there are in SL it could easily have been another (maybe even a new, yet unknown) one. Also, with sculptie "bounding boxes" extending wide over the actually visible structure, this is not really obvious to diagnose, even when being aware of the potential cause.

Good observation about the map. Didn't think about that, yet.

Thanks to all who contributed. This appears to be a well documented issue and there are several jira entries for correcting or to document it. It does not seem to be very well known to residents though. Maybe spread the word. I am marking this as answered.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.