Ocean Access

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

there are many many ads for rental lands with ocean access 200 sailable sea accessed from this or that place, a year ago this was true but recently,  Many open water sailable sims have been removed, making such Ads now false. This is not the land owners fault of course, at the time of the Ad this was in fact very true. I personally rent land in the north of the mainland, yes I have water access but it saddens me to say that linden labs do not maintain even a minor protected passage from the Northern ocean to the Blake sea. From Mapping surveys of the area this would mean that perhaps as few as two open water sims would need to be reopened. this would provide the physical ability to access the blake from what was the Linden ocean. I would hope that perhaps Linden Labs might consider this as a small contribution to the many many residents who enjoy the ocean and its surroundings. In the second part of this discussion I would also like to say that I find some residents in the key areas where passage would be possible, I note an extreme selfishness toward the many thousands of SL residents. I do understand individuals desire for privacy and exclusivity, However it is remakably selfish of residents with a river running through their land to close the land thus preventing the use of that river to other users. I look at this like in real life if a river flows by your house, no one will permit you to close it off to river traffic why then should you do so in second life. It is rude, it is selfish and its morally wrong. so please Linden labs and land owners with river access from one part of the ocean to another consider the many users who without causing you any loss of privacy or greif wish to peacefully pass from one sea to another.

Thank you for listening

Sven Rolls

I have property on the Blake sea, and pay for it, but I don't block access to my water for passing sail boats.  However that is my choice.  Under the TOS, those that pay for the land, or water in this case, get to determine who may have access to it.  You have no right to go on private land unless you are granted access by the landowner.  How is it moral to claim that you have a right to restrict the landowners enjoyment of their property just because you want to sail on their water? 

You also had the choice to buy or rent land with protected ocean access but chose not to.  If you want to be able to sail from your property into the Blake Sea, move to the Nautilus continent, or the shore of the Blake Sea.  There are also a few large private estates that offer large sailing areas.

I do agree that it would be nice if LL provide water sims so that everyone could sail around and between all continents. But LL is a for profit company and it is unlikely to happen as long as the number of sims being paid for is decreasing.

My Group owns a parcel on a side channel leading to the south channel and from there into Blake Sea.   With a little bit of map study and experimentation, I have been able to fly or sail from there to most of the continents.

Yes there are areas that land owners block.  And yes it would be nice if they would leave a small channel.  That being said, many do just that.  In some cases it's not discernable from looking at the world map, but the passages are there if you will take the time to look. 

PS  There is a very inexpensive and very useful waypoint hud on mp.  It  allows you to plot waypoints on the world map, copy them to a notecard, then using the hud follow a set ow waypoint to reach your destination. I recently acquired one and it is very useful both sailing and flying.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I have property on the Blake sea, and pay for it, but I don't block access to my water for passing sail boats.  However that is my choice.  Under the TOS, those that pay for the land, or water in this case, get to determine who may have access to it.  You have no right to go on private land unless you are granted access by the landowner.  How is it moral to claim that you have a right to restrict the landowners enjoyment of their property just because you want to sail on their water? 

You also had the choice to buy or rent land with protected ocean access but chose not to.  If you want to be able to sail from your property into the Blake Sea, move to the Nautilus continent, or the shore of the Blake Sea.  There are also a few large private estates that offer large sailing areas.

I do agree that it would be nice if LL provide water sims so that everyone could sail around and between all continents. But LL is a for profit company and it is unlikely to happen as long as the number of sims being paid for is decreasing.

I see that Amethyst gave you the (aparently) mandatory castle doctrine gospel so now that this out of the way... to my experience, the smaller a parcel is, the more likely it is to have ban lines on (or worse). Some viewers also have property lines visible on the minimap which is absolutely invaluable.

Kyrah Abattoir wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I see that Amethyst gave you the (aparently) mandatory castle doctrine gospel so now that this out of the way... to my experience, the smaller a parcel is, the more likely it is to have ban lines on (or worse). Some viewers also have property lines visible on the minimap which is absolutely invaluable.

I did because first he blamed LL for not providing protected water then he said "It is rude, it is selfish and its morally wrong" to not keep your land open to people who want to use it as a passage.  It is absurd to say this about people who exercise the rights they pay for. 

He should be grateful to landowners that allow it not outraged at those who don't.  I bet he rented his land where he did because it was a lot cheaper than land around the Blake Sea, and now he expects others to give up part of their property rights for his desire to sail long distances.  His sense of entitlement is what is off base.

I was under the impression that he complained that LL reclaimed some waterways. And i'm sure he is grateful for those kind enough to respect others. As for those who do not, while i can't blame them as there is no rule that they have to make any sort of concession, i think it would be good to think about what it means to live together in the same region/continent.

Rules are rules, definitely, but isn't having good relations with the peoplearound you more important than sticking strictly to the rules?

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I have property on the Blake sea, and pay for it, but I don't block access to my water for passing sail boats.  However that is my choice. 

Actually, no, it isn't. If your land is indeed, as you claim, "on the Blake Sea", it is rental land by one of the Blake estate holdings (USS, Sailors Cove, SLNew England, Second Norway, Tug Harbor etc) and they all have agreed on not allowing their renters to pull up banlines or sec orbs, but to keep a reasonable amount of prims unused for naval traffic.

BTW, all land west of sims starting with Blake Sea in the names isn't Blake Sea! So everything west of the row of BS islands is regarded as Nautilus proper.

Orca Flotta wrote:

BTW, all land west of sims starting with Blake Sea in the names isn't Blake Sea! So everything west of the row of BS islands is regarded as Nautilus proper.

Your description above is wrong.  According to the official SL Wiki the Blake Sea is defined as connecting the Mainland to the United Sailing Sims.  So all the sims with water to the west of USS to the east of Nautilus Island is the Blake Sea. True, my home is one of the sims on the southern most shore of the continent of Nautilus and  the estate owner is Gov. Linden but it is less than 1 sim away of the top of this map on mainland. If I sail due east from my front door I run smack into the island shown on the top of the map, four sims from the left.

The waters within the USS sims is not Blake Sea.  I do not rent from USS.  I have the option to block access to my property.

blake sea illustrated.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.