Paid rent, can't use!

Ricky40

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have recently rented an apartment on route seven, on the south by the beach.  I paid the box,  my name is on it, but I am not allowed to rez any of my furniture,  it says the owner does not allow it!  I contacted the owner and all she says is that she will look into it,  but she refuses to come fix it or at least refund me my money.  What can I do? ?

Sounds like you need an invite to join the group the land is set to, the owner may have been responding to you message through email from a cell phone and not have been near a computer to help, might even be out of town for the weekend, give them a day or 2.  I'd send an other message to the owner asking when they will be available to help,  and let them know you need a group invite.  If the owner dosen't respond there's nothing you can do, LL won't get involved in disputes like this. 

Yeah, assuming it's really just a group invite needed, if you stay patient and be charming, you may get the landlord to make up for the days you couldn't use the land.

But just to be sure: forget your furniture for a moment and try to rez a brand new box from the build tool directly onto the ground -- not on another surface, especially not a Mesh surface. If that works, then it's not a problem with group invitation, but rather something about where the viewer tries to put your furniture that's different from where you're trying to drop it. (This can be extraordinarily aggravating -- and there's nothing your landlord can do about that.)

Thankyou, you were right, they finally got back to me and made it right. Are you serious that LL won;t get involved in these things? So you mean someone can just set up a rental box, collect money, and give you nothing if they choose?

Ricky40 wrote:

Thankyou, you were right, they finally got back to me and made it right. Are you serious that LL won;t get involved in these things? So you mean someone can just set up a rental box, collect money, and give you nothing if they choose?

Pretty much. It's caveat emptor, in spades. There is actually a "fraud" category of Abuse Report, so if it's a Really Big Deal, LL might conceivably step in to prevent future customers from getting scammed, but if there's any possible way it could be construed as anything other than intentional swindling, they'll do nothing. (And, frankly, it's just as well: We don't really want our land tier and upload fees to go toward paying for a whole judicial system.)

I do actually think a future virtual world might offer a kind of escrow system, or some other way to try out a purchase for an hour and get a refund if it sucks, a la Google Play Store, etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.