Computer/Cyber Attack!? Is this common...

Serena Atolia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently was in a Skybeam Sandbox area when I received a group notification from a group I am not part of.   It crashed my SL and made a screeching noise sound.  I was unable to quit SL and had to use my task manager to get out.   When I logged back in,  I still had the group notice and my SL account locked up again.  On my third login, I was somehow able to teleport home but still had this group notice on my page( see below ),  threatening reformatting of my computer.  Is this common? And what is the best course of action when this happens?  I could not find any information on this subject.

Thank you in advacne for any help,

Discouraged SL'er,

Serena

Untitled.jpg

9 answers to this question

A griefer attack.   Not uncommon, particularly in sandboxes.  The thing to do is log off and then log back to a different location to avoid the griefer.  Once you have control back, fill an AR against the griefer assuming you have a confirmed name.  Since the griefer's purpose is to make things unpleasent, mute, AR and move on.  Don't take it upon yourself to engage the griefer.  That will only make matters worse.

--Cinn

• Like 1

If you get a notice like that in a sandbox, there is most likely an object around sending it. When you logged back into the same spot, you got it again. If they are hitting you with those repeatadly, you will freeze. When you managed to teleport away, you still got one because it was in the pipe and dialogs are sent specifically to an account. Once you were away from the sandbox for a moment, they should have stopped.

Is it possible for someone to do damage to your computer fron inside SL, nope. Is it possible for them to get enough information to directly attack your computer, yes, but not from within SL directly, and really not very likely. There are ways to get to get a persons IP Address, but if you are using a router, that is the IP they would get, not your pc's. Even if they get it, if you have windows firewall or similar, they are not an issue. You are much more vulnerable just surfing the web then playing in SL.

So, bottom line, just a griefer being a griefer. They just can not stand to have anyone around them have fun. Find another place to hang. Maybe file an AR on it.

• Like 1

set in your preferences to be able to select where you login to before you login, it'll add a little dropdown box with options to login to:

your home.

your last location.

a sim name you typed.

mute the object or person if it keeps happening and realize that messages just like that are nothing more than scare tactics.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.