Snapshot picture quality

DogsRUs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I take a snapshot it always has a size of 1368 x 705.

I know in the past I have managed to save snapshots with twice this resolution (2736 x 1410) but no matter what I try lately I'm unable to get that degree of resolution.

I have my graphics set to ultra and have anti-aliasing set to x2, but still no increase.

I'm lost !

Can anyone advise me please ?

3 answers to this question

Hiya Dogs,

There are two ways to increase the size of snapshots beyond that of your screen.

• Check Advanced->Hi-res Snapshot to double the dimensions of snapshots (Ctrl-Alt-D to toggle the Advanced Menu)
  • In the snapshot window, select "Save to My Computer", then select "Custom" from the first pulldown (and JPG from the second if you want faster shots and smaller files). Then enter the image dimensions you want. You may go as high as 6016 x 6016 pixels if you uncheck "Constrain Proportions".

Have fun!

ETA:

Lindal, here's proof you can take 6016 x 6016 images (right click and open in a new window to see it full size)...

Forgotten City.jpg

You'll see artifact in the sky, and I had to JPEG compress the heck out of this for upload. Taking photos this large also tends to crash my viewers. I'm on a Mac, and expect PC users will have better luck.

My default snapshot resolution is twice my screen resolution, or about 5K x 3K.

• Like 3

While Maddy is quite correct, I don't believe that you will actually get any more detail than the maximum pixels of your monitor, no matter how many pixels the snapshot may contain.  Even though the estimable Strawberry Singh disagrees with me I believe the SL picture taking function is merely a screen capture.

I am willing and even anxious to be corrected.  Meanwhile, I am off to take some experimental pictures.

@Maddy...I know you can get a picture with that many PIXELS.  Whether that gives you more actual DETAIL is what I am skeptical about.

Hi Maddy/Lindal, thanks for getting back to me.

I already have Advanced/Hi-Res Snapshot enabled too, however the missing element was clicking on the first pull-down and selecting "Custom". It's so obvious that I want to save the "Current Window" I'm always forgetting that actually IS a pull-down. :)

No, Lindal, you're quite correct that I won't get any more detail than the maximum pixels of my monitor, but I'm cropping the shots later and that is where I then reap the benefit of having a higher detailed original.

Anyway, thank you both again, and i hope I've posted this reply in the right place.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.