Sign in to follow this  
Bongo Ragu

How Do You Make SLURL Work For Third Party Viewers?

Question

slurls do work in third party viewers i use Emerald to open slurls it may take a minute or two and a couple of clicks on the teleport now link but they do work even if the little warning pop-up says it'll open up snowglobe

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

slurls do work in third party viewers i use Emerald to open slurls it may take a minute or two and a couple of clicks on the teleport now link but they do work even if the little warning pop-up says it'll open up snowglobe

• Like 1

Claire - I wonder if you are talking about an SLURL that you access on the internet, such as Xstreet or another RL website. SLURLs that are posted in local chat or IM INWORLD work fine with Emerald. I agree that Snoglobe may work if it is one of the viewers loaded in your computer because it is recognized as one of the viewers developed by Linden Labs. In my experience, if you completely remove all Linden Lab viewers from your computer I cannot get SLURLs from Xstreet to open Emerald or any other third party viewers. If you can get Xstreet SLURLs to work from Xstreet can you please tell me which browser you are using to view Xstreet and what the version is? Did you have to set the options in the browser to get it to work correctly with Emerald? Thanks in advance.

IDK how to make the SLURL open up a 3rd party viewer like it does the original SL client, but if you are already in world you can copy the SLURL and paste it in open chat or in an IM. Then you can click on it and tp to that destination.

• Like 1

BankOf Ishelwood - I agree with what you say but the intent of SLURL was to make it convenient for a user just to click on it and open the viewer or create a LM if the viewer is already open. I would hope that LL would fix SLURL to work with third party viewers - perhaps if they implemented the registration / certification of the viewer then that would allow SLURL to access the certified / registered viewer?

.. It will not launch the Emerald viewer, or any other third party viewer

Hello Bongo, if you are using Firefox to browse the XStreet website, have you tried going to Tools-> Options, and select the Applications tab, see Options window - Applications panel Find Second Life under Content Type and change the Action to Always Ask or Use Other.

Or does this workaround work ?

Using Second Life URLs (SLurls)

Details

On Windows, a SLurl opens the most recently installed Viewer.

There isn't an immediate way to change which Viewer launches SLurls, so if you have the current released Viewer and a Release Candidate, whichever was installed most recently will start. You can change this by reinstalling the Viewer.

I spoke with McCabe Maxsted (a developer for Imprudence) about this a while back. Imprudence gives you the option to re-associate SLURL's to that viewer at the point of install. He was kind enough to give me the reg keys that handle this and I used them to associate SLURL's to Emerald.

*************** WARNING: IMPROPER EDITS TO YOUR REGISTRY CAN RUIN YOUR WINDOWS INSTALATION***********

********************* EDIT @ YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!! *****************

step 1).  goto start\run and type in regedit.
step 2).  in regedit you will see some folders on the left. expand the one named "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" and scroll down to SecondLife.
step 3).  expand the SecondLife folder and click the sub folder named "DefaultIcon". You should see only one key with the address to secondlife.exe. (right click in the name Row where it says "default" and choose Modify from the menu. change the string to C:\Program Files\GreenLife Emerald Viewer\GreenLife.exe  (click ok)
step 4).   go back to the folders on the left and under secondlife expand shell, then open, and then click-highlight command.  Again you should see only 1 key entry. goto modify and replace the string with C:\Program Files\GreenLife Emerald Viewer\GreenLife.exe --settings settings_emerald.xml -url "%1"

Save your Registry

• Like 1

I think what happens is that the last viewer you installed becomes the default one used when clicking a SLURL.  As noted above this can be changed in the registry.

Unfortunately - When you load a Third Party Viewer like Emerald the registry is NOT automatically changed!!! I needed to do it by hand. Apparently it only keeps up with the last LINDEN LABS viewer that was loaded. NOT the last third party viewer!!!