SLURL no longer works in Firefox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Some time in the last couple of weeks, I was no longer able to use SLURLs to get around in SL.  I can enter one in the URL box, and it dutifully bring up the window that says Visit this location .. Teleport Now.  But when I click Teleport, I get a Firefox error:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (secondlife) isn't associated with any program.

I did install Firefox clean on a new computer about a month ago, and that may be when this broke, but I wonder what i need to do to make it work again? If there is a plugin or add-on, I do not remember ever installing it?

10 answers to this question

I've had this happen once before. Check your options in Firefox, the Applications tab. Scroll down to secondlife in the Content Type column and change the Action column to point to your client. This is usually in C:\Program Files\ but may be elsewhere if you chose to install your viewer in a different location.

Thanks Meiling - Your answer may have found my problem (Secondlife is not listed under applications), but does not solve it, since I can't follow your suggestion. Now that I think about it, I wonder if installing the Standard SL viewer sets this up under the covers... On this new computer, I only installed the Emerald viewer, since that is what I use all the time...

Hmmmm

Thanks to everyone for replying. Indeed, I installed the SL viewer, started it, tried a TP from an SLURL, and Bingo, I was asked what application to run. Told it Secondlife, since that ws what I was running. then started the Emerald viewer, got that option again, and this time I said to use Emerald and Remember the choice.  Back in SLURL business

This reply will be a bit late but I'm sure that other people will have the same problem and will want to fix it without having to install the regular client (like me!)

Go to this page and follow the instructions:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/The+protocol+is+not+associated+with+any+program

The modified code that you'll need to paste into the URL bar for the Emerald viewer is:

javascript:navigator.registerProtocolHandler('secondlife','http://support.mozilla.com/value=%s','Emerald');

This code must be pasted into the URL bar while you're still on the above support page

Once you've done that, try opening a slurl and you'll be asked to find the Emerald exe, check the box to remember your settings and you're done!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.