How do I perform a gesture?

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Gestures allow your avatar to perform a variety of animations, sounds, or other actions automatically as you chat. You can trigger gestures with pre-defined function keys, or make them automatically play when you say a specific word or phrase in conversation.

If you don't know how to perform a gesture you already have, you can easily find out.

1. View your Inventory and open the Gestures folder.
  2. Right-click the appropriate gesture and choose Open.
  3. Look at the entry for Trigger. The gesture plays whenever it encounters this text in chat.
  4. Or, look at the Shortcut Key. You can press this key (or key combination) any time in or out of chat to perform this gesture.

A note on gesture performance

Second Life currently performs the first gesture it finds in chat. If you place a later gesture in the same chat line, it is not read as a gesture. You can often use this to your advantage; for example, if you're trying to tell someone how to bow:

You type: Just type /bow
You say: Just type <avatar bows>

You type: /bow Just type /bow
You say: Just type /bow <avatar bows>

Gestures are a fun and easy way to be more interactive in SL. Any1 can create their own. The gesture editor lets you create some pretty complexed combinations of animations, sound, and text. All with no scripting/coding knowledge needed. There are so many ways to trigger a gesture, maybe too many, lol.

Here are hopefully most of them:

*Local chat

*Gesture list on right side of Local Chat

*F2-F12 keys, Shift+F2-F12 keys, CTRL+F2-F12 keys

*Edit/Gestures

*with another gesture

I'm sure i missed 1, lol.

***Remember*** - It's best to use single play animations, not looping animations, in a gesture. You can use a looping anim, but you will need to start and stop the anim inside the gesture. Just simpler to use a single play anim. Plus, I think a gesture can only be 10 seconds long.

One other way to play a gesture : start typing its shortcut name into the chat line - Autofill will then complete the name of the gesture for you .

For example - to play /squeak from the Gestures list means

• Mouse down to Gestures and Click
  • Scroll down the (maybe long) list while looking for /squeak
  • click /squeak in the list

By now, time is ticking by...

Whereas, if you simply type /sq into the Chat line, Autofill will immediately make it "/squeak", just hit Enter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.