How do I get the latest drivers for my graphics card?

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

This can be true! Here is some basic information.

Incompatible, outdated, or corrupted graphics drivers are responsible for many crash scenarios on systems meeting the System Requirements.

First, ensure you know who makes your graphics card. The Second Life viewer only works with GeForce graphics cards (made by Nvidia), Radeon graphics cards (made by ATI), and the Intel 945 chipset. If you have any other graphics card, Second Life may not run. You will need to buy and install a video card that works with Second Life.

Warning: Please make sure to closely follow the manufacturer's instructions, which may involve uninstalling and wiping traces of the previous version before installing the new version. This is sometimes referred to as a "clean install".

I have an nVidia Geforce 2 or higher!

nVidia-equipped computers can install the latest GeForce and TNT2 graphics driver package at nVidia's website.

I have an ATI Radeon 8500 or higher!

ATI-equipped desktop computers can install the latest Catalyst graphics driver package at ATI's website.

I have an Intel graphics card!

The Intel 945 chipset works with Second Life; you can get the latest drivers at Intel's website.

Warning: The above answer is misleading.

1) System requirements have not been updated for months. Do NOT buy any of the cards recommended there!

2) DO NOT INSTALL the latest ATI drivers unless you want to completely screw up your SL experience. Catalyst drivers 9.4 and 9.5 are reportedly NOT properly working with SecondLife.

Q. How do I update the graphics drivers for my Mac?

A.  Most Macs (except the Mac Pro) have non-upgradeable graphics cards - i.e. it's the same card for the life of the Mac. As for drivers, they are included with the system software itself, not as separate 'driver downloads'. Providing you have the latest version of whichever OS X you run (and for SL that means either "Tiger" 10.4 or "Leopard" 10.5) then your graphics drivers will be up-to-date.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.