Baffled by Mesh Sizes for clothing

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know that, before fitted mesh, there was a standard set of mesh sizes. and there's still a lot of these on the Marketplace.

The available help seems to have dropped all mention of this system.

I've also seen on the Marketplace some sample shapes, but can I trust them?

Is there a reliable source for the shape settings, so that I can tweak my avatar shape to suit them. It's fairly easy to manually copy the body shape details, although the volme of head/face data is intimidating. I would take the shape I usually use, leave the head/face unchanged, and shift the rest of the shape-sliders to match a standard shape.

But where can I find the numbers?

(Slight grumpiness: The Knowledge Base is horribly confusing to me on the problem of finding mesh clothes that fit.)

Just grab free demos of what you're interested in purchasing :) Whether it be fitted mesh or standard sizing mesh. See if you like what it looks like on your avi, and if no one offers a demo then they just aren't worth your money if you aren't sure what it would look like ~

The "standard sizes" were never all that standardized, the addressed a limited number of paramteres, but left a lot of important ones free.  So no two sets of standard sized are exactly the same.

Here is the first set I found when I searched on MP.  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Standard-Sizing-Package-Updated-Male-Female/2894727

If you go to that page, it has an explanation, and a list of the actual numbers used.

First of all Standard Sizing is by no means dead. I get review copies daily and only a very few are using Fitted Mesh. For most of us fitted mesh doesn't fit near as well as standard sizing and so (gals especially) who want to look good will most likely opt of Standard Sizing mesh for a long while until fitted mesh actually fits better :D

This isn't new news. When rigged mesh first came on the scene (two plus years ago I am thinking) most mesh didn't fit well. Nowadays I am most often a standard small and most things fit.

Standard sizing is based on only a few parameters (well maybe a dozen or so) including body fat. Height had nothing to do with it as you noted. Some designers have put the standard sizing measurements in along with their garments; not so much these days as people have been dealing with standard sizing mesh for a long while.

I am going to assume that the standard sizing mesh shapes on the marketplace used these measurements as a guideline. I know that a couple of years ago I had one and used it for blogging when my traditional shape wouldn't work. It did solve problem and that was a good thing :D.

Another way to go about  fixing YOUR shape is to find a couple of designers that you really like, get some of their demos and adjust your shape so that they fit. Things that need to change are mostly in the torso and legs area along with the body fat that I mentioned earlier.

There is no foolproof way to always get a good fit just like there is no way you are always a size 12 in real life, but getting your shape so it is CLOSE makes life easier. You can make different outfits with tweaked shapes as needed.

Good luck.

You might want to work on a ruth shape avatar. You could get it out from your viewer if you login in open grid using one of the viewers that still allow that or using inworldz viewers that would still allow this exporting . In alternative use plugins to convert the SL avatar xml file into mesh in your program like viz dazter or avastar. Another alternative also in oopen grid is phoenix 1.5 if you've stored some or you could download that old version, then use it in your open grid.

A similar shape to ruth shape is also the one that you could find on SL wiki pages where we usd to get templates and avatars to design clothes. Download the"improved secondlife avatar for 3d texture panting

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials

Working on ruth shape you might get your clothes working for  deformers.

My idea and what I am working with is an UNIVERSAL sizing:  which is based on the following concept

I take the first riggged size on the ruth shape , then I move my weights to collision bones, trying to let this first size ( the neutral size) working both with fittted and deformers. Then in the packs I try to make I do put inside also other sizes following the  standard size way. This could make happy hopefully more clients ( the ones who like deformers the ones who like fitted mesh the ones who like standard size)

This is because the only way ( and this is also how Daz3d characters are made) to get a good fitting wardrobe would be to have your meshes rigged on that particoular shape.This is also the reason what the SL skirts work perfectly I mean the meshes that we used to paint UV maps  for before all this mesh madness came out, when SL had just Robin's and Chip's templates to make clothes.This is also the reason what Standard size  is the most reasonable way,but not all love to wear standard avatars.

Actually this experiment can be done only on opengrid  such as in inworldz hence there you can still use liquid mesh, deformers and standard sizes

more and less what I am training with is something similar to what was proposed in this thread.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Custom-Sliders-for-Fitted-Mesh-a-Solution/td-p/2495979

• 10 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.