What's in an interface?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26921743

An interesting article here about the study of violence in players of video games. What caught my eye was

Games modified to have counter-intuitive, frustrating controls - leading to feelings of incompetence - produced more aggressive reactions.

I'll say no more.

Profaitchikenz Haiku wrote:

An interesting article here about the study of violence in players of video games. What caught my eye was

Games modified to have counter-intuitive, frustrating controls - leading to feelings of incompetence - produced more aggressive reactions.

I'll say no more.

Oh, does it ever - I remember when I was starting SL and a friend tried me to get to use this different viewer and I swear the interface must've been designed by a mental patient so I went back to what I was used to.

The viewer he tried to get me to use was Phoenix.

Typists were probably really frustrated when typewriter makers changed the punctuation layout when typewriters changed from manual to electric. Do you know how you made an exclamation point on a 1940's era manual typewriter?

[apostrophe] [backspace] [period] - Think about THAT during your next hot cyberdate...

Oh, and the apostrophe was shift-8 and the quotation mark was shift-2. Shift-1 wasn't anything because the 1 key didn't exist - they used to use a lowercase L.

Profaitchikenz Haiku wrote:

I'll say no more.

Say no more?  You actually haven't said anything.  Since you posted this to the SL forum, you seem to be implying that the findings of this study in some way relate to SL... and yet you don't say how.  Are you suggesting that SL's UI is counter-intuitive and frustrating?  Are you saying that people in SL are more aggressive than those who play video games that have less cumbersome controls?  Or perhaps you're suggesting that this forum software is so difficult to use that it's the reason why some people seem come here with a bad attitude from the very start.

I ask because I simply don't understand what point you were trying to make... if, in fact, you were actually trying to make one.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.