Lauched into the air or bumped when I stop

Tianna Burnstein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I posted before, but I cannot seem to reply to that topic.

Whenever I stop, my avi gets bumped/nudged sideways or launched into the air into a falling animation.  This is so annoying and makes SL unplayable.

Information and things I tried:

• I use Firestorm 4.6.1.40478.
  • Reduced max bandwidth to 1500
  • Tried max bandwidth at 3000
  • Reduced draw distance to 64m
  • Clean install of Firestorm
  • Problem existed on Singularity viewer as well
  • Happens in empty sims
  • I set my avi to default, with no AO or attachments
  • Rebooted my router and modem
  • My computer is not wireless
  • Ping and speed test times to San Francisco are 80ms Ping 51621/5153 mbps
  • Computer was scanned with Malbytes Anti-Malware on full scan, no threats

I am now at a loss what to do :(  I use to think the bumping started when I played for a long time and built for a while.  Now it is happening more often than it use to 2 months ago, and back then I use to remain logged in for days!

I still think it is a connection issue, but what do I do next?  :(

Firestorm 4.6.1 (40478) Mar 10 2014 05:38:17 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

You are at 226.0, 211.0, 2,001.3 in Village of Mist located at sim10390.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.51.40:13022)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Village%20of%20Mist/226/211/2001
(global coordinates 266,210.0, 343,251.0, 2,001.3)
Second Life Server 14.03.12.288004
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz (2660.04 MHz)
Memory: 12279 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.2078
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

RestrainedLove API: RLV v2.8.0 / RLVa v1.4.10a
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1e zlib/1.2.6 c-ares/1.10.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.3.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.26
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 64
Bandwidth: 1500
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: Ultra (7/7)
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/140,418 (0.0%)

==

Thank you KarenMichelle.  I had NO IDEA how to repond to the other thread.

It does happen on another account as well.  Most of the time I am logged on both at the same time when I am building or need to test permissions.  Sometimes I am fine, but last night into this morning was horrible!

As for the official SL viewer...I was pushed to the side in the first 10 minutes I have been playing on it.  I am certainly not being thrown around like I was an hour ago though.  BUT, I had my good days and moments on Firestorm and Singularity too, so I am not convinced the viewer change helped.  If I remember right, Singularity worked well for up to a day too before I went bouncing around again.

I will continue to use SL Viewer, but what would your next set or questions or troubleshooting steps be if I continue to have an issue?

Thanks again for the help!

==

Thank you too Lindal!  I did disable RLV, no loss fo me, I don't use it.  The one thing I forgot to do was go back into Firestorm after I signed off.  I went right to the SL viewer.

And I don't wanna debate this, as I will lose, but I don't understand how my graphics card is on the low end.  It has 1.8GB of memory and (laugh if you want) was the best option on the "gaming" PC I had ordered/build for me by Dell.  On all 8 computers I have played SL on, graphics have never looks as amazing as they do with this computer and graphics card.

Now with that said, did we steer the troubleshooting into the right direction accidently?  Could I have a bad driver?  Graphic settings too high?

Thanks to you both, as long as I am trying something I won't get aggrivated with SL :)

==

3RD EDIT

Forgot to mention...friends can see this happening to me.  They cannot see the small nudges, but they can see it when my avi gets launched in the air and acts like she is getting shoved around.

Does this mean we have to look back into connection issues and not graphics, even though it is a low end card?

Right now I am getting pushed arouns almost every time I stop.  I play a lot of games.  I raise breedables.  I own a cat and dog.  I am back to my theory that something is building up and at some point that build up causes the random movements.  ANd over more time they get worse.  Ugh I hate it!

===

EDIT May 29, 2014

So after trying almost everything...I am right back where I started.

Things I tried:

1. New Hard Drive, Clean install of windows, no antivirus, tried on both SL and Firestorm viewers.
  2. Bypassed my router.
  3. Increased my Cache
  4. Lowered my graphic settings all the way
  5. New Video Card (GTX 770)
  6. New cables to and from modem and router.
  7. New Modem and router
  8. ISP assures me it isn't a line issue
  9. LL assures me it isn't a settings or server issue
  10. SL Support logged in as me and couldn't reporduce the issues
  11. SL Support saw me having the issues when connected in world with them
  12. Happens on any computer on my network (all wired)
  13. Happens on any avatar
  14. Happens on any sim
  15. Speed tests show way better than average speeds and normal ping times
  16. No packets lost reported anywhere

If anyone can see this...now what?  I cannot play games because I get phantom mouse clicks.  I cannot build because I bounce all over the place.  The only thing I can do in SL right now, without getting annoyed or upset, is sit in one place and chat.  Certainly not how I want to live my SL :(

3 answers to this question

follow on to question: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Avatar/Random-Movements-when-Stopping-or-Walking/qaq-p/2484085

Tianna,

Let's narrow this down exactly.

1) Have you created an ALT[ernative] account and tested with it? If Yes - did it operate normally? If No - please do so and share with us the results.

2) Turn off all RLV settings - Please Test using the latest SL Viewer - http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.5.288573

Please update your question by adding the requested information below the original text as follows: - Select the Options drop-down menu to the right of your question and select Edit Question. Note: As the question originator you can not post into the thread. You can only modify the original question text.

• Like 1

Thank you for including all that information!  It's much more helpful than, "Help, my SL doesn't work!"

I don't think it has anything to do with your specific problem, but that graphics card is on the low side for SL.  Start saving up for a replacement.

As KarenMichelle suggests, go into your Preferences and disable RLV.  It's the first check box in the Firestorm tab of Preferences.
  Log off and restart SL for this to take effect.

If that doesn't fix the problem, remove any attachments you're wearing, especially any RLV restraints/slave collars.  (whoops, I see you've already tried that.  Never mind.)

If the problem still occurs, try going to the Advanced menu (CTRL+ALT+D to enable it, if it's not on your top bar.)  Select Advanced/Release Keys.

If that doesn't work (and because you say you suspect a connection issue) you might try using the Free Google DNS servers to connect to SL, as an alternative to your ISP's servers.  See this link:  https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

EDIT TO ADD:  You mentioned that you posted this before, but were unable to reply to that post.  That's true, sadly, and that's just the way this Answers forum works.  However, next time, instead of starting a new post, use the Options/Edit button in the upper right corner to edit your original post with the new information.

2nd EDIT:  I dunno...KarenMichelle presents some strong evidence that your graphics card isn't among the better performers, and I agree with that.  However, I just don't see how a graphics card, whatever else one can say about it, produces the problem you describe.  Still, KarenMichelle has a good point.  If it happens with all your accounts, and no matter what you are wearing, the common factors narrow down to your computer and your internet connection.  If you can, go to a friend's house and log into SL with their computer (download a viewer if you have to.)  See if the problem goes away.  If it does, then have the same friend, or another one, bring their computer to your house, and log in from there.  If the problem happens, it's something in your network or your internet connection.  If it does not happen, the issue is somewhere in your computer.

• Like 1

Since this issue is happening exactly the same way with multiple viewers and multiple avatar accounts we're focusing on your PC's hardware or internet service rather than your viewer software,

The 0% packet loss points back to the PC hardware.

Unfortunately, the Dell System Builder is not the resource to tap when asking for a gaming PC recomendation. For the List Price of $95.00 you could have obtained a much better graphics card:

GC 2.PNG

GC 1.PNG

Your card is in the bottom list graphic. Note the benchmark score difference. The following sites are a great resource for researching GCs.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/

Your PC mama board is excellent and the 12 GB memory as well. So my eye comes back to your GC unfortunately.

These reports are very telling as well:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+260

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/354264-33-nvidia-geforce-skyrim

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=58&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20260

Bottom line is the possibility exists that the GC is the issue. Do you have access to another GC to use to compare against in your PC?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.