the mesh weight.. why the mesh prims linked to increase their weight too?

Gianfranco Foxclaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello!
I am a builder, I like to build mesh, load a lot of mesh on Second Life, some forms, however, due to the weight using basic shapes such as prims.
Before connecting a prim to form a mesh, the weight was acceptable. In fact, the weights are halved or more times increased slightly.
For some time now, the weights are tripled. When I hook up a prim to form a mesh which weighs about 27 or 30 in the characteristic convex hull its value increases dramatically up to over 100 in weight, not to mention the characteristic prim. For a manufacturer, the weight saving is very important!
why all this? has anything changed? why is that all about?

2 answers to this question

It depends on the prim.  If you are linking a simple primitive like a cube or cylinder, your L.I. will in fact go down.  Other prims like torii, however, cause significant work for the servers and will result in a dramatic increase in L.I.  Prims that have been dimpled, twisted, or hollowed can as well.  In general, the same things that will cause a L.I. increase for created mesh --- primarily having a dimple or hole that disrupts a convex hull ---  will also cause an increase for "normal" prims.

• Like 3

Just to add to Rolig's reply,  when you link a prim to a mesh, the Land Impact, LI,  of the prim is assessed according to the mesh system of accounting.    In practical terms, this means you should first change the physics shape type of the prims (on the "Features" tab of the editor) from Prim to Convex Hull.   I find this works best if you use edit - linked parts, and change them on prim at a time.    This should reduce the LI to acceptable levels, but if it does not, then you will need to change the physics shape type of any complex prims (cut toruses and spheres are the first things to look at) to None.  This takes them out of the physics part of the accounting equation, though the downside it is it leaves them effectively phantomed.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.