Ongoing glitch with shoe stuck up my butt upon login

Mark Spizel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, I've been in SL for almost 6 years, starting in April 2008, and I think this problem has been going on for at least half that time.

Whenever I log in, my left shoe is detached and floating behind my butt.   It doesn't matter which pair of shoes or boots I use, I will always find it floating behind me when I get into SL.

It's happened on the official SL viewer, as well as Singularity and Firestorm.  (FS is my usual preference.)

The floating shoe will follow me through a teleport, although will not follow me as I walk around the sim.   But when I tp again, there that darn shoe is, floating behind me.   

When the shoe is floating, I cannot detach, remove or take the shoe back into inventory.  So I'm really puzzled.

I know it's odd that I'm only asking for help now, but I really don't do much in SL except build for my own amusement and it really was never a high priority for me to worry about my shoe.    I guess I could just go barefoot and eliminate the problem, but can anybody suggest what might be causing this?

Thanks!

(Edited to add more info.)

Have you asked does anybody else see this shoe or is it only you? If others don't see it then it's most likely some a glitch in your cache folders. I have seen similar things happening to myself. Sometimes I am unable to remove some item what I see. I ask my friend does he see it. "Nope, you're ok". Then what I do is "Character Test", delete all cache folders, relog. Sometimes it could take couple of relogs before the haunting object has vanished from my view.

Oh, one more thing, be sure that each viewer what you are using has it's own cache location. Using same cache location for all viewers will cause problems.

Ive had that happen and i suspect its because i edited where it goes on my foot? but i can't prove that now. Anyway, put on another pair of shoes by dbl clicking a pair from inv to replace them and then after those rez  try putting them back on by dbl clicking again from inv and they should be placed correctly. I had to go through that routine a couple times until SL learned where the shoe belongs and it hasnt happened in a while now.

This has happened to me when I choose to attach the object to a specific area that is not the default area as opposed to just choosing wear or add.

For example: It I buy a hat and choose wear, it may replace my hair because the default is skull. If I choose add then it will just go over my hair. BUT if I choose to attach it to my nose or chin and edit the position, it may end up floating in the air when my avatar starts to move around.

The fact that you can't detach it is odd. Do you go into your current outfit folder and detach from there or are you trying to click on the actual shoe and use the menu?

Lori is definitely on to something. Make sure it's not attached anywhere other than your feet, or where the creater intended it to.

Is it a mesh shoe? I know I had problems with mesh before and how it wouldn't stay where it was supposed to. But after loading it should pop back into place, rigged mesh or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.