Minimizing Data Transfer

Pardus Tungsten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good day all,

I had a question about minimizing data transfer. I find myself with occassion to log into sl sometimes while traveling and I do so using my 4G personal hotspot. The thing is, as you might know if you have one of these, there monthy data transfer allowance is quite limited.

I am looking for suggestions on settings or other things I might do to be on sl while minimizing the data transferred. I understand that there are text only viewer options that have possibility and sometimes I use those. For the purpose of this question though, I'm wondering what can be done to minize the transfer for a graphical viewer. Possibly there is a viewer in particular that offers minimal graphics but is mostly text. I'm not sure. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Since you already know about text/mobile viewers, I'll skip these. They are however your best, most reliable way of staying data-light.

On a graphical viewer you can do the following:-

• Lower your draw distance (via Preferences)
  • Teleport to a nearly empty sim (no physical objects, few collisions, no trees), and hide up in the sky surrounded by no dynamic (scripted to change appearance) objects and as few prims as possible.
  • Wear few/no attachments (including hair) - or use a character test (via Advanced)
  • Wear few/no HUDs
  • Disable voice, media/block media ports (via Preferences/ your PC network settings)
  • Disable textures/block texture transfers (via Advanced/Debug/ your PC network settings)
  • Don't open Friends List, don't use CHUI chat interface (via Viewer selection)
  • Don't open Inventory, don't allow it to load contents.(via Viewer selection)
  • Disable RLV (it will pre-fetch #RLV contents) (via Preferences)
  • Set yourself to busy mode (via Me menu)
  • More, probably. Creating a skin from library textures, for example, may help.

I frequently log in using my 4G hot spot.  

My first advice is to find yourself some software to monitor you usage.  I use BitMeter from phttp://codebox.org.uk.  Use it to make sure you stay within budget, and to see just what you can afford in terms of SL activities and data usage.

I think Freya's list is accurate and comprehensive, and you did say *minimize*,  and it is very true that a crowded club will take more data than standing alone in a skybox.  But I am not in SL to stand around alone, so my own drill is to set the graphics quality to low, the draw distance to 32, and make sure I use my own music, rather than streaming. It ususally costs me 50 - 100 MB/hour, hanging out with friends. 

Thanks to you both for the tips. I am keeping an eye on a usage monitor so I have that covered. Some of the original suggestions don't quite fit for me, since I do want to be around others and at that point I might as well revert back to the text only viewer. However, they were good answers to the question as I did say minimize.

I think between the suggestions offered so far I've managed to strike a good balance between data usage and sl experience. Any other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks

I would think if you are traveling you would be using wi-fi. There are loads of free wi-fi locations. 

There are numerous apps that scan for open wi-fi access points.

My phone barely uses my data plan at all. When I'm mobile I find that with laptops I can usually find an open wi-fi connection. Plus I find some 5ghz access points. But, the 2ghz points work well too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.