Second Life freezing in an odd way

AgentKikiChan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been trying to get SL to work on my sisters computer, but it hasn't been working. Whenever it opens, I'm unable to click and login. It's frozen. The odd thing is, if I minimize it and max it again, whatever I had clicked will suddenly have had effect. SO, I would enter my login information, unable to see it, then minimize and maximize it, and it will have shown up. Then I can click login, min/max it, and it will log in. Think like, weeping angels. It won't move while I'm looking. She uses a windows 8, ASUS VIVObook, if that helps. I can't find anyone else with this problem and it's very puzzling. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times and restarted the computer.

This is the same as JIRA 13427, but on a different ASUS laptop.  (This one is the X75A.)  I have updated the touchpad driver and the graphics driver, with no visible effect.  There is one interesting bit of data, which, back when I was a programmer, would lead me to believe that someone with LOTS of knowledge about lots of things could easily identify the problem.

Namely, on the very same computer, using a Virtual Box virtual machine running SUSE 13.1 and the Linux Firestorm, it works, albeit slowly.  If one knew Virtual Box, Linux, and Windows 8.1 on the ASUS, there has to be a pretty small intersection of software involved.

Another data point is that the SL viewer doesn't seem to matter.  I have tried "signularity", and the most recent LL viewer, noticing no significant differences.  (I have not tried the Linux versions (if any).)

AgentKikiChan wrote:

I've been trying to get SL to work on my sisters computer, but it hasn't been working. Whenever it opens, I'm unable to click and login. It's frozen. The odd thing is, if I minimize it and max it again, whatever I had clicked will suddenly have had effect. SO, I would enter my login information, unable to see it, then minimize and maximize it, and it will have shown up. Then I can click login, min/max it, and it will log in. Think like, weeping angels. It won't move while I'm looking. She uses a windows 8, ASUS VIVObook, if that helps. I can't find anyone else with this problem and it's very puzzling. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times and restarted the computer.

The graphics card on notebooks are crap and cant handle SL, they are not meant to handle anything with the graphics demand like SL. Nothing has as much of a drain as SL on a computer. I have had the most intensive games at the highest settings and they had 1/4 of the drain of SL. Get a real PC.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly I'd need to know more about your specs, how big is the HDD, how much Ram are you using, etc. I don't know your specs but usually those laptops well the one you're using isn't really built for gaming...

I will say this, no you do not have to get a new desktop. You could get a good laptop to run second life just fine, of course you're going to need to get one for gaming. You're also going to want to make sure you look at the specs, because not all laptops are built for gaming. 

Also I'll add it's not fair to say that laptops can't handle games, trust me some can handle it way better than some PC'S it's all in the specs. The more Ram the better, of course an 8GB will do just fine and a good graphics card that can run any game is a must.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.