Serous question that need to be addressed by L's

greek Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some time back I bought a couples dance pack for a lot of money, it worked for about 3 weeks, then it just stop working was given the run around by the seller, then I wrote  in here, a very kind lady came to my club, check it out and told me they had been removed something about interlentual rights, the lady was kinder enought to loan me hers, Now the question is this:

If Lindens remove such objects which I fully agree with, WHY do they still allow the person/s that I bought from still allowed to  sale on Marketplace, surly this is not right is it?,I only got my money because I went all out to get it, I am sure more people would just give up.

and if this is one item, god knows how many more are doing this. I like your views and if an LL employee want to contact me off the forum I quite will to talk them but in an offical capasity. 

An item can only be removed from the grid following a complaint and takedown notice (DMCA) from the creator who made the original animations, and each animation needs to be treated separately. So the thief, even if all his/her goods are stolen, can still continue to sell the items that have not yet been subject to a DMCA takedown notice.

The reason for this is complex but it boils down to this:  Currently, the content of the grid is the responsibility of residents. If Linden Lab starts policing the grid themselves, then they become suddenly responsible for all of it. This would mean one of two things:

Either they would have to personally and individually moderate every single item that is uploaded and/or sold, meaning a delay of days (or weeks, or months) before your item is available to use. Or, they would have to restrict content creation to linden employees and/or licensed creators only.

I hope you can see how both of these options would destroy the entire infrastructure and economy of SL.

Do you terminate accounts based on DMCA claims?
If Linden Lab believes that a user of Second Life is continually abusing the DMCA process, either with filings that appear to be without basis, or by continually re-posting content that is the subject of valid DMCA notifications, we may exercise our right to terminate the abusing party's account.
https://secondlife.com/corporate/dmca.php
The question you ask has been the subject of many endless discussions.  It is a constant complaint in the Merchants Forum.  The Merchants see accounts that are obvious offenders continue to operate.  But then there are other accounts that do appear to get cancelled.
The general opinion is that Linden Lab does need to act swifter and decisevely in cancelling these accounts.  But they also need to act accurately.
For instance in your case, the person who sold you may have bought the dances they used from someone else.  They may have been using them not knowing they were stolen. 
A couple of years ago Stroker Serpentine gave away for free several hundred animations.  There has been some question whether he had the legal right to do give away some of them.  Right now there are people using them who have no idea there may be a legal problem.  Then sadly there are some who do know and don't care.  Here is a Wiki article about it.  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Stroker_Serpentine_Sexgen_Animation_Set
So the answer to your question is there is no simple answer.  Linden Lab may have looked at the dances you had removed, saw that the person had bought them elsewhere.  Or they may have done nothing.  It's simply something we have no way of knowing.
It is my personal opinion that they do need to take a firmer stance on this.  But I also understand it may be a bigger job than meets the eye.  Right now there are over one million items for sale on the Market Place.  That is almost in the category of insane. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.