Artist available

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there everyone.  I am very new to this SL thing, so have no idea how anything really works within this platform, so please excuse my ignorance.  I have an avatar somewhere within the game, but I have managed to get myself very lost with everything and have no idea what I am actually really doing.  I came to SL with the aim of opening up an art gallery or holding my own exhibitions at venues within the game, but so far have not had much success at this, as I get bamboozled with everything as this is a whole new experience for me.  What I am looking for, is a fellow Artist that exists within the game, or curators that want to put exhibitions on, that might be able to give me some pointers on how best to achieve my aim, or maybe looking for shop keepers who are looking for interesting and unusual pieces to stock within their stores?  If anyone can help with this then please let me know.

Many thanks in advance

Jake Howard

ArtsApart.co.uk

Welcome to SL! :)

Just so you know, SL is ALOT to take in and from what I'm hearing, you barely know the basics yet.

That's not a bad thing, SL does have a big learning curve with learning how to navigate, using the search bar to explore, custimizing your avatar by learning how mesh works with alpha layers and several sizes, building...my point is, you're trying to run to what you want to do but you haven't even learned how to crawl yet.

For help, try searching for classes or ask around.

There's also an art forum around here so maybe you'll find the needed help there but even so, please, listen to my suggestion of learning at least the basics first.

Good luck!

thank you for your reply and oh yes!  I do deffo need to crawl first, you are so right there! I have just been trying to find my avatar on here and have not even managed to do that yet! Last seen stuck in a lift somewhere!  From your reply I can see that I do have a huge learning curve in front of me to be able to get to grips with this, the techy jargon is enough to send me potty as I have to researh nearly every word (that is how out of touch I am with this kind of thing).  Thank you for the info on the Arts forum on here also by the way, I think popping in there for a chat could be a good starting point and maybe ill find a friendly artist or two that might be able to help me further. Many thanks again for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Jake Howard

ArtsApart.co.uk

Lost your avie? That's an impossible thing, ArtsApart. Your camera is always right behind it by default. And when you log out so does your avie. They don't have a secret life of their own, no worries your avie might get into any trouble while you're offline. They just go p00f. Most players have their viewers set up so that you log on at exactly the point you logged off. So if your avie was last seen stuck in an elevator that will be exactly the location where you'll meet him/her/it again.

I'd never trust Orca alone in SL, she's too much of a loudmouth and always runs into trouble, head on. That little brat has this fatal tendency even when clever and intelligent me is watching over her. Dunno why.

lol! thanks for that info, it explains why I am still in the same place looking at the same wall everytime I log in!  I still very much need to get to grips with just the basics in here like JPG0809 so rightly pointed out.  Here is hoping that I crack it soon. :-)

Sounds like yours is a bit of a handful ill check her out should I get the hang of the controls and if I ever get out of the lift in the first place!

Jake Howard

ArtsApart.co.uk

You don't have to accept the default login location. You can login at your Home location or a location of your choice either. Here's how:

Exit Second Life and log in at your destination

You can set your preferences so that you can choose your login location, and then enter your destination so you appear there when you log in again.

To set your login location:

1. Choose Me > Preferences.
  2. Click the General tab.
  3. Under Start location, choose Show on login.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Choose Me > Exit Second Life to log out.

Then, start the Second Life Viewer again, and:

1. In the login screen, under Start at, choose <Type region name>.
  2. Enter the name of the region where you want to go; for example, Pooley
  3. Click Log In.

Now you will log in at the region you entered.

To get out of your lift, I would suggest you use the lag free Linden water sim Smith to log into although the LInden sim Pooley will do either.. 

This is an excerpt from this Knowledge Base article: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Landmarks-teleporting-and-SLurls/ta-p/700123

This page also shows you how to create a Home location as well as other useful information.

Check out Daniel Voyager's tutorials and links for SL Newbies too: http://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/sl-newbies/

Welcome to Second Life! Yes, there is a huge learning curve to overcome before you get really comfortable with your avatar and moving about. Practice makes perfect and give yourself plenty of time.

As for art, I suggest you explore galleries and museums as the art community is quite large and active in Second Life. It would  be a good idea to see what others are doing and what is possible to do. You can put in key words in the search to find art galleries and current exhibits. Gallery openings are a good place to meet other artists, curators, and others interested in art. They usually advertise in groups, so be sure and join as many art groups as you can. To show your work, most curators will want to see a portfolio and a lot will only show certain styles, or only art made in Second Life, or real life, or whatever criteria they have decided is right for their gallery. Visiting various galleries can help give you a feel for the type of art they prefer to show.

You can always open your own gallery as well, but getting it off the ground and having people actually visit it can be a challenge. Joining groups can help with that and hopefully you can make art friends willing to help you. Having your own art gallery can be a lot of fun and give you a place to show your work.

Good luck to you! I hope you have the greatest success no matter where your path leads!

Wow! thank you so much to everyone for your helpful words and suggestions.  It appears to me that I have dipped my toe into a very deep pool of discovery indeed that is going to take a lot of time to master.  I never realised it was all so involved.  Years ago when I was younger and had a bit of thumb twiddling time, I used to play Runescape and found that hard enough to get used to at first, but I got there in the end, so I have hope that I will get the hang of SL also eventually.  Time to sit down and digest everything is what I need but that is not a commodity I have lots of right now with RL exhibitions to prepare for instead.  At least I know how to get my avatar out of the lift now though. 

Thanks once again to you all for your help and support and directions on where to go and what to do, Ill hopefully be able to send you all an invite one day to my first SL exhibition. ;-)

Cheers for now

Jake Howard

ArtsApart.co.uk

hello Artsapart

im a lot busy, but i think i can find a bit of time to help you and teach you some basic knowledges and give you some advices for if you want to set up your own gallery (if you can deal with my non perfect english language since its not my native one)

i dont promise you to be there everytime and give you all my time in sl but if i can bring some answers to your questions and show you some lil tricks about SL ill be delighted to do.

Contact me inworld, send an IM (if im not online, it will go to my mailbox, ill answer asap). My timezone is french one (GMT +1) and i have more time for SL on sundays and mondays but i also log in sl everyday (mostly) at least for 2 hours in my evenings.

If you happen to not be able to find me inworld, or dont know how to leave an IM, let me know here and i will contact you as soon as i ll be able to do.

As others have said above, SL needs first a period for learning how to use it before doing anything else. You can't avoid that, at least the minimum for being able to set up your own gallery. :smileyhappy:

So let me know .

Hi there Trinity, thank you so much for your very kind offer of help in SL, I really would like to take you up on your offer of help I understand though about you being very busy, as I myself am in the same boat!  I am currently working on two commissios that are taking nearly all of my spare time, alongside my normal workload, so do not have much to spare for learning SL just yet. Would it be possible to keep your kind offer as an open one, so that when I have cleared my decks a little and have some time to dedicate to my new learning adventure I can give you a shout and see if your free.  Would that be ok with you?

Many thanks

Jake Howard

ArtsApart.co.uk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.