Region trouble

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hope someone out there can offer some help.

I rent a region, and have done so for some months.  For the last week or so, I have had real trouble staying logged in there.  I crash, and then cannot log in to home.  If I log in elsewhere, I crash upon trying to teleport home.  If I teleport to an adjacent region, my land is missing--all I see is ocean.  I have to restart my computer to see my region again.

I can log in elsewhere and have very little lag.  I can teleport around without crashing.  Only my home region causes me to crash, then it idisappears.

I have restarted the region, but it didn't help.

When I am in long enough to check things on the statistics bar, the time dilation is between .999 and 1.  Sim FPS are 45.  The spare time is between 18 and 19.  The last collision I had was in October.

The only thing that I can tell that is off in the statistics bar is the Ping Sim and Packet loss.  These bars shoot all the way over to the right .

I have checked all the information I can on Ping sim, and all I see is that it can go bad because of one's network connection.  Yet everywhere else I go in SL, my Ping sim and Packet loss are near zero. 

There are no objects on the regions except what I own, and no one there but me.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

I strongly feel you need to be contacting Linden Lab directly with this one.  Occasionally regions do run into problems, and they have the power to see what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe other regions that are running on the same server are also having difficulties - again, Linden Lab would be able to see this.

Submit a support ticket and explain to them what you have explained to us.  The fact that you are having no problems elsewhere on the grid, but continue to have problems when you have restarted your region, and have checked any items that are on your sim are not liable to be causing a problem (a rogue script for example) does point to the fact there is something in the foundations (servers) that needs to be checked.

• 2 weeks later...

Try "Flushing your DNS Cache"

this simple operation has helped two of my good friends now. They always crashed, only on one sim. Every time they TP in.. CRASH. No place else.

The DNS cache is the telephone book from names like "secondlife.com" to a long string of hexidecimal numbers. If an address gets mangled, it apparently can lead to crashes on the sim where an address is mangle-fied.

Google search "Flush DNS Cache" for the fairly simple instructions... about 5 steps system depending.

For good measure, you may wish to change your DNS Lookup Service to something like Google instead of your ISP. Just in case the mangled file is at your ISP's server.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.