"Login Failed. Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong".

Teagan Weezles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For the past several weeks, I have been unable to log into SL.   I get the message "Login Failed. Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong".

I'm running the Firestorm viewer and have tried with the current release as well as the latest Beta.  I've completely deleted and reinstalled the Firestorm app and all cache and settings files.   I've rebooted my computer as well as modem and router.   All other connectivity scores fast and clean on Speedtest and Pingtest.  I have disabled all Firewalls but no help.

I am at wits end on this one.  I've logged in from this same computer and connection without issue for a long time.   I posted this question earlier in the month, and a kind member replied to try some other regions including Smith or Pooley, but I get the same results.   Unfortately that thread has been marked Answered so I couldn't reply there.

Help!

Teagan

3 answers to this question

You've done all the right things so far.  Let's try something else.  Your viewer and SL's servers have temporarily lost the ability to talk to each other, so try flushing your DNS cache; how to do that is explained here for Windows, Linux, and older Mac operating systems. For newer Mac operating systems (Lion and Mountain Lion), see here.   Then, if that doesn't cure the problem by itself, add Google's free public DNS servers to whatever your ISP assigns you as a default. Here's how >>> https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

If using Google as a DNS does not work for you then see here for alternate servers, or grab DNS Bench to help you locate one.

There are two other possibilities, both more remote but worth considering:

Your computer might have been infected by a DNS changer malware. Please visit dwcg.org, click on Detect (near the upper left) and then select the site closest to you, from the list. If you find you are infected, please read here for fixes.

The other possibility --- less scary --- is that your anti-virus software is flagging the viewer as a virus. F-Secure (and possibly other anti-virus software) can give DNS errors when you try to log into SL using a viewer (any viewer). The option scan and remove viruses from internet traffic will effectively prevent login. You can either disable this option or find a way to exclude the viewer from the check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2014 at 8:27 AM, Teagan Weezles said:

For the past several weeks, I have been unable to log into SL.   I get the message "Login Failed. Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong".

I'm running the Firestorm viewer and have tried with the current release as well as the latest Beta.  I've completely deleted and reinstalled the Firestorm app and all cache and settings files.   I've rebooted my computer as well as modem and router.   All other connectivity scores fast and clean on Speedtest and Pingtest.  I have disabled all Firewalls but no help.

I am at wits end on this one.  I've logged in from this same computer and connection without issue for a long time.   I posted this question earlier in the month, and a kind member replied to try some other regions including Smith or Pooley, but I get the same results.   Unfortately that thread has been marked Answered so I couldn't reply there.

Help!

Teagan

I too am Having the very same issue i go on holiday for a couple weeks up to my parents place when i get home i can't log in even after all the suggestions and fixes people have suggestion nothing has worked.

• Like 1

I am having the same issues now in 2022. I have tried everything from turning my firewall off uninstalling all security as well , new dns server nothing works. It only works when I try to login with my hotspot. Nothing change , 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.