Own Sim and movies will only play 4000m up on skybox, why not on ground

Nespirina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I do not know whether what I have experienced is related but at about 8:30am SLT today, most music streams to our sim failed.  They appeared to run but I heard no sound.  All other SL sounds were unaffected.

My partner observed the same phenomenon, so it was not my hardware or software, no amount of updating of Flash Player made any difference.

Contact with one internet radio company, DI.fm, suggested that all Shoutcast relays would become inoperable over the next few days, but no reason was given.

I can only surmise that the end of free streaming is here.  As to what impact, if any, this will have on SL I do not know.

I did find that a private stream hosted by my partner played normally.

ETA at 4pm SLT: No idea why but the problem vanished this UK evening.  All streams seem to be audible again.  It must have been a hardware glitch, I suppose, probably never find out why!  I wonder why only myself and my partner, who lives miles away from me in RL had the same issue.

If people make sure there stations are not listed then it should work fine,  it's the listing that gets things derped up.  I learned years ago, to stay off shoutcasts radar, to block yap and make sure there listing was denied.   plus keeps things under the radar, but last time I actaully streamed was back in 09, so I'm not sure what this new problem might be.

AOL which owns (owned) shoutcast and windamp had planned on shutting them down on 12/20/2013.  But on 12/20/2013 they announced they were finalizing negotiations to sell off Winamp and Shoutcast in a deal that would allow both products to live on.  I just goggled to see if anything had happened to the negotiations to make them fail and didn't find anything, So i assume that announcement still holds and these services won't shut down.

Icecast is another streaming service that works in SL, so even if shoutcast shut down people could use icecast.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.